UPSC Civil Services Syllabus 2019, View detail UPSC IAS / Civil Services Syllabus 2019 and Direct Link to download Syllabus Pdf
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus 2019 – Download IAS Syllabus PDF
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus 2019: The UPSC IAS examination is divided into the preliminary examinations and the UPSC IAS Main examinations. The preliminary examinations will consist of two papers i.e paper (i) and paper (ii). Both of these exams carry 200 marks each. The candidates after clearing the preliminary examinations have to appear for the UPSC IAS main examinations.
The UPSC IAS main examination is of 1750 marks followed by an interview round of 275 marks. The marks obtained by candidates in the IAS main examination decide their rank. The candidates appearing for the UPSC IAS examination can download the syllabus from below.
Important Highlight: UPSC Civil Services Syllabus
|Name of conducting body||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Name of the exam||Indian Administrative Service / Civil Services|
|Level of examination||National Level|
|Number of vacancies||896|
|Selection Process||Prelims (June 02, 2019), Main, Personality Test|
|Official Notification||CLICK HERE|
The UPSC Civil Services Exam Pattern 2019 for Prelims and Main exam is very different. While prelims is an objective type paper, the Main examination is descriptive in nature. The prelims Exam conducted to select applicants for the Main exam and the qualifying applicants of the Main exam are recruited for various post. Thus, knowing the syllabus and pattern of such a high-level examination becomes an important aspect for the applicants who are preparing for it. The UPSC Civil Services Syllabus and Exam Pattern for prelims and mains are being provided here in detail for students so that they can prepare well for the examination.
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus and Exam Pattern Details: Union Public Service Commissions (UPSC) Civil Services Exam pattern details are given below. The prelims is the first step of Civil Services Examination which needs to be cleared by the candidate to make themselves eligible for the mains which consist of written examination and personal interview. Thus it becomes important that the candidate should be well versed with the pattern, no of questions, syllabus.
Exam Pattern Details: Civil Services Exam Consists of 2 Stages.
I. Preliminary Examination (Objective Type)
II. Main Examination (Written and Interview)
I. Civil Services (Preliminary) Exam Pattern
|No. of Papers||Two (2) compulsory papers|
|Type of Questions||Objective (MCQs)|
|Total Marks||200 marks each (400 marks)|
|Duration of Exam||2 hrs. each (20 mins extra for a candidate with Locomotor Disability & Cerebral Palsy)|
|Negative Marking||Yes, one-third (0.33) as a penalty|
|Medium of Exam||Bilingual (Hindi and English)|
The Examination shall comprise two compulsory papers of 200 marks each.
(i) Both the question papers will be of the objective type (multiple choice questions).
(ii) The question papers will be set both in Hindi and English.
(iii) Each paper will be of two hours duration. Blind candidates will however be allowed an extra time of twenty minutes at each paper
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus: IAS Syllabus for Prelims
- The preliminary exam is the first stage a candidate must clear to qualify for the mains exam.
- It is meant to serve as a screening test only; marks scored in IAS Prelims will not be counted for the final merit list.
- Preliminary Stage of IAS has two papers viz. General Ability test (GAT) (Paper-1) and the Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT) (Paper-2).
IAS Syllabus for Paper I: UPSC Civil Services Syllabus
- Paper I of IAS Prelims includes different topics which hold a weightage of 200 marks.
- All questions will be objective in nature.
- Candidates must solve the paper in 2 hours.
- Marks obtained in Paper 1 will be counted for the merit rank.
|UPSC Civil Services Syllabus for Paper 1|
|Current events of national and international importance||History of India and Indian National Movement|
|Indian Polity and Governance Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, and Rights Issues||Economic and Social Development‐Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives and General issues on Environmental ecology|
|Biodiversity and Climate Change ‐ that do not require subject specialization and General Science|
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus for Paper 2
- All questions will be objective in nature.
- The total weightage of questions in Paper II is 200 marks.
- The total duration of the Paper II is 2 hours.
- Marks obtained in Paper 2 will not be counted for the merit rank in Prelims but will be considered as a qualifying Paper.
- Candidates need 33% marks to clear IAS Mains.
|UPSC Civil Services Syllabus for Paper 2|
||Logical reasoning and analytical ability|
|Decision-making and problem-solving||General mental ability|
|Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level)||Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)|
Section-wise Questions Distribution
|Paper 1||General Ability Test (GAT)||200|
|Paper 2||English Language and Aptitude||200|
Download UPSC Civil Services Syllabus PDF
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus for Mains
- This paper assesses a candidate’s academic expertise in his specialized subject.
- It also tests his ability to present knowledge in a clear and coherent manner and his overall intellectual traits and understanding of concepts.
- Interview will be conducted to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service by a Board of competent and unbiased observers. The test is intended to judge the mental caliber of candidate.
- Number of candidates to be admitted to IAS Main Examination will be about twelve to thirteen times the total approximate number of vacancies to be filled in the year through this examination.
- The number of candidates to be summoned for interview will be about twice of the number of vacancies to be filled.
|Main Examination – The written exam will consist of the following papers:|
|Qualifying Papers||Paper A (Indian Language)
Paper B (English)
|Paper to be counted for Merit||Paper I – Paper VII|
Important Link: UPSC Recruitment
|Apply Online||Part-I | Part-II|
|Official Website||Click here|
|Exam Update||Click here|
UPSC IAS / Civil Services Exam Centers 2019
The UPSC will announce the examination centers for the UPSC IAS examination. The candidates will get updated about the examination centers on the official website. Once UPSC releases the official notification, details would be updated here.
The candidates can check out the last year’s examination centers from below.