This article contains: UPSC CDS Vacancies, Age Limits for UPSC CDS, UPSC CDS Salary and Pay Band, Education Criteria for UPSC CDS, Selection Procedure, UPSC CDS (I) Written Exam Pattern,UPSC CDS (II) Intelligence and Personal Test, UPSC CDS Exam Syllabus, UPSC CDS Exam Centers
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is inviting applications from eligible candidates for 457 vacancies in Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers Training Academy through Combined Defence Services Examination (I), 2016 (Including SSC Women (Non-Technical) Course). The Combined Defence Services Exam will be conducted on 14th February 2016.
UPSC CDS Vacancies
Check the Details of UPSC CDS (II) Examination below:
|No.||Name of Course||No. of Posts|
|1||Indian Military Academy||150|
|2||Indian Naval Academy||45|
|3||Air Force Academy||32|
|4||Officers Training Academy (Men)||186|
Education Criteria for UPSC CDS:
|Sr. No.||Name of the Academy||Educationa Criteria|
|1||IMA||Degree from recognized University or equivalent|
|2||Indian Naval Academy||Degree in Engineering from recognized university/ institution|
|3||Air Force Academy||Degree of a recognized university (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engg|
UPSC CDS (II) Selection Procedure
The selection procedure will consist of the following:
- Written Examination
- Interview for intelligence and personality test at Services Selection Centre (SSC).
UPSC CDS (II) Written Exam Pattern
The UPSC CDS (II) will have the following exam pattern for :
a) For Indian Military Academy ,Naval Academy and Air Force Academy
1. English: 100 Marks
2. General Knowledge: 100 Marks
3. Elementary Mathematics: 100 Marks
Total: 300 Marks
|Subject||No. of Questions||Marks|
b) For Officers Training Academy
- English: 100 Marks
- General Knowledge: 100 Marks
Total: 200 Marks
UPSC CDS (II) Intelligence and Personal Test
Marks for Service Selection Board Interviews
- Indian Military Academy, Naval Academy and Air Force Academy: 300 marks
- Officers Training Academy: 200 Marks
The SSB procedure will consist of two stage selection process Stage I and Stage II.
Stage I: It comprises of Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests. these tests are picture perception (PP & DT).
Stage II: Those candidates who clear Stage I will be called for Stage II. This will consist of Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests and conference, conducted over 4 days.
The personality of candidates will be assessed by three different assessors viz. the Interviewing Officer (IO), Group Testing Officer (GTO) and Psychologist.
UPSC CDS (II) Exam Syllabus
The question paper will be designed to test the candidates understanding of English and workman-like use of words.
General Knowledge, including knowledge of current events and such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The paper will also include questions of History of India and Geography of a nature which candidates should be able to answer without special study.
- Number system
- Natural numbers
- Rational and Real numbers
- Fundamental Operations-addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, square roots, decimal fractions.
- Unitary method:
- Time and distance
- Time and work
- applications to simple and compound interest
- profit and loss
- ratio and proportion
- Elementary Number Theory:
- Division algorithm
- Prime and composite numbers
- Tests of divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 11
- Multiples and factors
- Factorization Theorem
- H.C.F. and L.C.M.
- Basic operations
- Simple factors
- Remainder Theorem
- H.C.F., L.C.M
- Theory of Polynomials
- Solutions of quadratic equations
- relation between its roots and coefficients (only real roots to be considered).
- Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns-analytical and graphical solutions.
- Simultaneous linear in-equations in two variables and their solutions.
- Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or in-equations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable and their solutions.
- Set language and set notation
- Rational expressions and conditional identities
- Laws of indices.
- Sine x, Cosine x, Tangent x when 0Â° < x< 90Â°.
- Values of sin x, cos x and tan x, for x = 0Â°, 30Â°, 45Â°, 60Â° and 90Â°.
- Simple trigonometric identities. Use of trigonometric tables.
- Simple cases of heights and distances.
- Lines and angles
- Plane and plane figures.
- Theorems on:
- Properties of angles at a point
- Parallel lines
- Sides and angles of a triangle
- Congruency of triangles
- Similar triangles
- Concurrence of medians and altitudes
- Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square
- Circle and its properties, including tangents and normals
- Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle.
- Areas of figures, which can be split up into the figures (Field Book).
- Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders.
- Surface area and volume of spheres.
- Collection and tabulation of statistical data.
- Graphical representation-frequency polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts, etc.
- Measures of Central Tendency.
UPSC CDS Salary and Pay Band
|Rank||Pay Band||Grade Pay (INR)|
|Lt.||15600 – 39100 (PB-3)||5400|
|Lt. Gen HAG||67000 – 79000|
|HAG||75500 – 80000|
a) Dearness Allowance
b) A kit maintenance allowance Rs 400 pm
c) Field Area allowance to officers posted in field: INR 6,780 to INR 8,400 pm.
d)High Altitude Allowance to officers posted at height of 9000ft and above: ₹1,060 to ₹ 11,200 pm.
e) Uniform Allowance: Initial allowance for one time kit @ Rs 14,000 and Rs 3000 for every three years.
f) Free rations
g) Transport Allowance: Transport allowance: Rs 3200 + DA thereon pm in A-1/A cities and Rs 1600 +DA thereon at other places.
Stipend during training at Service Academies: Fixed Stipend Rs 21,000/- for entire duration of training.
UPSC CDS Exam Centers
The UPSC CDS II examination will be conducted at centers in the following cities:
|Dispur||Nagpur||Total: 43 Centres|
Friends, this is it for Preparation tips for CDS. If you have any queries, please ask them in the comments section below and we will be glad to answer them for you. All the very best!