Staff Selection Commission, usually known as SSC conducts Combined Graduate Level (CGL) examinations in three stages – Tier I, II and Interview. The first stage i.e. SSC CGL Tier 1 is already over and SSC CGL Tier 2 will be conducted on October 25th and 26th 2015.
SSC CGL Tier 2 2015 Exam Pattern
Tier-II of the SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination -2015 will be of Objective Type Multiple Choice and will be conducted over a period of two days.
|Paper||Subject||Max Marks||No. of Questions||Duration & Timings for General candidates||Duration & Timings for VH and Cerebral Palsy candidates|
|I||Quantitative Abilites||200||100||2 Hours 10.00 AM to 12.00 Noon||2 Hours. and 40 Min. 10.00 AM to 12.40 PM|
|II||English Language & Comprehension||200||100||2 Hours 2.00 PM to 4.00 PM||2 Hours. and 40 Min. 2.00 PM to 4.40 PM|
|III||Statistics||200||200||2 Hours 2.00 PM to 4.00 PM||2 Hours and 40 Min. 2.00 PM to 4.40 PM|
- Paper-I & II are compulsory for all the categories of posts.
- Paper-III is only for those candidates who apply for the post of Statistical Investigator & Compiler.
- Candidates opting for the post of Compiler and/or Statistical Investigator Gr. II must ensure that they possess the requisite qualification as mentioned.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus (Main Exam):-
Paper-I Quantitative Ability :
The questions will be designed to test the ability of appropriate use of numbers and number sense of the candidate. The scope of the test will be
- computation of whole numbers, decimals ,fractions and relationships between numbers
- Percentages, Ratio & Proportion ,Averages, Mixture and Alligation.
- Profit and Loss, Interest, Discount, Partnership Business
- Time and distance, Time & Work
- Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra & Elementary surds
- Graphs of Linear Equations, Triangle and its various kinds of centres
- Congruence and similarity of triangles
- Circle and its chords, tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle, common tangents to two or more circles
- Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons , Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres
- Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base, Trigonometric ratio, Degree and Radian Measures
- Standard Identities, Complementary angles, Heights and Distances, Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar diagram & Pie chart
Paper-II : English Language & Comprehsion:
Questions in this components will be designed to test the candidate’s understanding and knowledge of English Language and will be based on
- spot the error and fill in the blanks
- spelling/detecting mis-spelt words
- idioms & phrases
- one word substitution
- improvement of sentences
- active/passive voice of verbs
- conversion into direct/indirect narration
- shuffling of sentence parts
- shuffling of sentences in a passage
- cloze passage & comprehension passage.
Paper III: Statistics for Investigator Grade-II, Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation & Compiler in RGI.
- Collection Classification and Presentation of Statistical Data – Primary and Secondary data, Methods of data collection; Tabulation of data; Graphs and charts; Frequency distributions; Diagrammatic presentation of frequency distributions.
- Measures of Central Tendency- Common measures of central tendency – mean median and mode; Partition values- quartiles, deciles, percentiles.
- Measures of Dispersion– Common measures dispersion – range, quartile deviations, mean deviation and standard deviation; Measures of relative dispersion.
- Moments, Skewness and Kurtosis – Different types of moments and their relationship;
meaning of skewness and kurtosis; different measures of skewness and kurtosis.
- Correlation and Regression – Scatter diagram; simple correlation coefficient; simple regression lines; Spearman’s rank correlation; Measures of association of attributes; Multiple regression; Multiple and partial correlation (For three variables only).
- Probability Theory – Meaning of probability; Different definitions of probability; Conditional probability; Compound probability; Independent events; Bayes’ theorem.
- Random Variable and Probability Distributions – Random variable; Probability functions; Expectation and Variance of a random variable; Higher moments of a random variable; Binomial , Poisson, Normal and Exponential distributions; Joint distribution of two random variable (discrete).
- Sampling Theory – Concept of population and sample; Parameter and statistic, Sampling and non-sampling errors; Probability and non-probability sampling techniques(simple random sampling, stratified sampling, multistage sampling, multiphase sampling, cluster sampling, systematic sampling, purposive sampling, convenience sampling and quota sampling); Sampling distribution(statement only); Sample size decisions.
- Statistical Inference – Point estimation and interval estimation, Properties of a good estimator, Methods of estimation (Moments method, Maximum likelihood method, Least squares method), Testing of hypothesis, Basic concept of testing, Small sample and large
sample tests, Tests based on Z, t, Chi-square and F statistic, Confidence intervals.
- Analysis of Variance – Analysis of one-way classified data and two-way classified data.
- Time Series Analysis – Components of time series, Determinations of trend component by different methods, Measurement of seasonal variation by different methods.
- Index Numbers – Meaning of Index Numbers, Problems in the construction of index numbers, Types of index number, Different formulae, Base shifting and splicing of index numbers, Cost of living Index Numbers, Uses of Index Numbers.
We will post Preparation Tips and Tricks for individual sections of SSC CGL Tier 2 in the coming days. Please comment your queries in the comments section below and we will be more than happy to answer them. All the best!