Spotting Error Quiz for SBI PO Mains and SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam
Spotting Error Quiz- English Language
1. In order to solve questions on spotting errors, the first step you should take is to read the complete sentence carefully. In most of the cases, you will be able to detect the error in the first go itself.
While reading the entire sentence, you must carefully check the subject-verb agreement.
2. The next step is to carefully check all spellings. Many a times, an error can be spotted in spellings.
3. If you can still not detect the error or you are still unsure of the correct answer, then you must read each individual part of the sentence and closely examine which part consists of an error.
Some List of Common errors:
1. In case of using prepositions, you need to keep in mind the following definitions –
2. Always check for subject-verb agreement – if a subject is singular, then its verb should also be singular. On similar grounds, if a subject is plural, then its verb should also be plural.
3. Check for errors in use of conjunctions – remember that a sentence only uses one conjunction at a time. For instance, use of both “as” and “so” in the same sentence is incorrect.
4. Distinction between “much” and “many” – the word “much” is used before uncountable nouns, while the word “many” is used before countable nouns.
5. Distinction between “whose” and “which” – the word “whose” is used to address living entities and the word “which” is used for lifeless objects.
6. The pronoun “one” as a subject should use “one’s” because it does not indicate towards a specific gender – male or female.
7. The combination of words “One of” always takes a plural noun after it.
Spotting Error Quiz and Questions:
Directions (1-10) : In the questions from 1 to 10, some of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.If a sentence is free from errors, then your answer is (4) i.e. No error.
Please Share your Score for the Spotting Error Quiz in the comments section below: