In this article you will get to know about SBI Assistant/Clerk’s Job Profile, Roles and Duties as a Single Window Operator, Head Cashier,Special Assistant, Universal Teller, Agricultural Assistant.
SBI Assistant /Clerk’s Job Profile, Salary, Role and Duties
The notification for SBI Clerk will be out soon. Consequently there’s a lot of buzz about its notification . So before even applying for it, we will help you get a real picture of the inside story. If you you want to know , what you will be doing after you clear the prestigious SBI Clerk Examination, you are at the right place.
Understanding the profile, role & responsibilities of a bank clerk is important just like paying attention to the salary offered. Knowing the functions beforehand not only saves you from unexpected surprises while on duty but also gives you an extra edge in answering questions during interviews.
All selected candidates for clerical positions will be on a probation period of six months. After this period, they are assessed either through a short test or performance review and confirmed as permanent employees.
SBI Assistant/Clerk’s Salary
According to last year’s notification, the pay scale for SBI Clerk is:
The total starting emoluments of a Clerical Cadre employee payable at Metro like Mumbai will be around Rs. 19500 per month inclusive of D.A. and other allowances at the current rate. Allowances may vary depending upon the place of posting.
SBI Clerk’s Job Profile – Role and Duties
For visitors and customers to any PSB, clerks are the first point of contact for enquiries & guidance. Following are the roles and duties you will be performing while working as a clerk in SBI.
1.SINGLE WINDOW OPERATOR (SWO)
The following duties shall form part of the normal duties of the clerical cadre and for the performance of which no special pay shall be payable.
- Acknowledgments of inward mail received.
- Receipt of cheques, drafts, dividend warrants, pay orders and other like instruments other than bills and giving acknowledgment in the counterfoil.
- Delivery of cheque books subject to authorization by competent authority.
- Issue cash receipts.
- Recounting of currency notes by cash department staff.
- Passing and cash payment of all cheques/ withdrawal forms/ bankers’ cheques/ gift cheques etc.
- Passing independently clearing and transfer cheques, vouchers, (whether credits or debits)
- Receipts of cash and issuance of pre-signed drafts/ gift cheques/ travellers’ cheques/ pay order/ bank orders etc.
All clerks shall also perform all duties and functions of their cadre, either online or manually, which does not involve any passing or supervisory function of an officer of the bank.
2.HEAD CASHIER (HC)
In addition to the duties of clerical cadre, the duties of HC will involve holding bank’s cash, key and/or other valuables in safe custody jointly with an officer and being accountable for them and being responsible for the running of the cash department:
- Verification of vernacular signatures/endorsements.
- Countersigning cheques and/or drafts (on selves or correspondence), payment orders, deposit reaccepts,etc.
- Attending to Government Treasury work.
- Being in charge of clearing and godown departments etc.
- Passing independently clearing and transfer cheques, vouchers, etc. (whether credits or debits) and cash vouchers.
3. SPECIAL ASSISTANTS (SA)
The duties of Special Assistants will be accountable and responsible for running of the department/section under them and their duties will involve looking after and checking the work of other clerk or clerks and substaff and will include:
- Passing independently, manually or online, cash instruments and clearing andtransfer cheques, vouchers , (whether credits or debits)
- Signing vouchers, checks, drafts, mail transfers, pay orders, advices such as non payment advices, inter branch fate calling advices, bill schedules, demand notices, statement certificates etc.
- Checking, manually or online, current, savings and other accounts
- Briefly explain, the features of bank’s various products and services to customers, to reply their queries and to refer interested to appropriate personnel.
4. UNIVERSAL TELLER: (UT)
In addition to the duties of clerical cadre, duties of UT shall be as under:
- Receive cheques/ withdrawal forms/ demand drafts/ bankers’ cheques, process, verify that the instrument is correctly drawn, verify customers account details, operational instructions and verification of endorsements
- Verify customer’s signature, post transactions in branch computer system and authenticate/ independently pass and make payment of cheques/ withdrawals forms/ demand drafts/ bankers’ cheques .
- Receive Cash and whenever necessary, stamp, sign and issue counter slips/ acknowledgements.
- Update pass books.
- Prepare print and issue remittance instruments e. DD/MT/BC and and sign them independently .
- To briefly explain the features of Bank’s various products and services to customers, to reply their queries and to refer interested customers to appropriate specialized sales personnel
5. AGRICULTURAL ASSISTANTS:
In addition to the duties of clerical cadre, Agriculture Assistant’s duties will be as under:
- To assist in the bank’s lending and/or operations for agricultural development and/or financial assistance to small enterprises (other than small scale industries) such as vegetable/fruit vendors, artisans, selfemployed persons etc.
- To distribute and collect application forms and assist the farmers/small borrowers in filling up the forms.
- To scrutinise application forms, farm plans etc. to ensure that applications are complete in all respect.
- To take necessary steps to ensure that the periodical details, as called for, are received from the farmers/small borrowers in time.
- To keep in constant touch with farmers and to bring any adverse features to the management’s
- To verify farms, all farms machinery, equipments, tractors, live stocks, pumpsets at stipulated intervals.
- To verify proper utilisation of the bank’s loans or the progress in work in respect of which loans are granted and to furnish reports on such verifications
- To assist in the deposit mobilisation efforts by encouraging farmers/small borrowers to deposit their savings in the bank.
- To collect information about the condition of crops in the village.
- To collect necessary data from determination of village adoption for financing of agriculture, like farmers’ land holdings, availability of infrastructural facilities, source of irrigation, use of tractors, pump sets, etc. credit facilities, available in village, recovery performance etc.
- To maintain liaison with land Record and Registration Offices and other Governmental/Developmental agencies for expeditious handling of the banks’ work.
Friends, this is it for Job Profile of SBI Clerk and its Roles and Duties. We will post the link of the notification as soon as its out. Watch this space.
If you have any queries regarding SBI Clerk please ask us in the comments section below and we will be glad to answer them for you.
Suggested Reading :