How to prepare for Reasoning Section of IBPS Clerk Exam
In this article you will get IBPS Clerk Exam Reasoning Section Pattern. IBPS Clerk Exam Reasoning Section Syllabus. Topic Wise Preparation Tips for Reasoning Section of IBPS Clerk Exam. Study Plan for Reasoning Section of IBPS Clerk Exam. Click here for IBPS Clerk Recruitment Notification.
In this article
How to prepare for Reasoning Section of IBPS Clerk ExamTo help you prepare the best, we have started a series of articles on IBPS Clerk Exam preparation. In this series we will tell you the pattern/syllabus, study plan and preparation tips of individual sections viz,
How to prepare for Reasoning Section of IBPS Clerk Exam have already covered Quantitative Aptitude Section of IBPS Clerk Exam
In this article
How to prepare for Reasoning Section of IBPS Clerk Examhave already covered Quantitative Aptitude Section of IBPS Clerk Exam
Today we will take up Reasoning Section of IBPS Clerk Exam.
IBPS Clerk Exam Reasoning Section: Pattern
- No. of questions: 35
- Total marks: 35
- Marks per correct answer:1
- Negative Marking for incorrect answer: 0.25
In the mains exam of IBPS Clerk, the reasoning section is clubbed with the Computer knowledge section. So here we will share the pattern and weightage of the overall section ( ie Reasoning and Computer Knowledge combined)
This year onwards there will be a separate time limit for all the sections of the Exam.
- No. of questions: 50
- Total marks: 60
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Marks per correct answer:1.2
- Negative Marking for incorrect answer: 0.3
IBPS Clerk Exam Reasoning Section Syllabus
- Syllogistic reasoning
- Relationship Concepts
- Statement conclusion
- Seating Arrangement
- Analogies Space Visualization
- Similarities and Differences
- Decision Making
- Arithmetical Number Series
- Arithmetical Reasoning
- Visual memory
- Verbal and Figure Classification
- Non-verbal series
- Coding Decoding
IBPS Clerk Exam Reasoning Section: Books to be referred
Books to be referred –
1) A new approach Verbal and Nonverbal Reasoning (Arihant) by BS Sijwali
2) A Modern Approach to Verbal and Nonverbal Reasoning (S.Chand) by R.S.Agarwal
3) Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey.
4)Verbal Reasoning By R.S. Agarwal
5) You can also choose some other books as per your choice.
IBPS Clerk Exam Reasoning Section: Topic Wise Preparation Tips.
1. Syllogistic reasoning
- Syllogisms are also known as deductive reasoning tests and are designed to test your logical reasoning abilities.
- Use Venn diagrams to solve questions of this type.
- Venn diagrams help you form simple relations between the different statements mentioned in the question to result in a valid conclusion of the syllogism.
- Syllogisms can have 70-80% accuracy. This means if you attempt 5 questions, you will get around 3-4 right (on an average).
- Aim for the above accuracy.
- Practice 3-4 syllogisms everyday.
2. Relationship Concepts
- They are designed to check your cognitive skills.
- They might appear long and complicated however they are terribly simple to solve.
- To decide whether you should solve the problem is to find out which type of problem is it:
- Single person Blood relation.
- Mixed blood relation.
- Coded blood relation.
- If it is a single person blood relation problem, then go ahead and solve it.
- They take less time and have higher (90%+) accuracy.
- For single person blood relation break the sentence at is/was/as and resolve it from last point tois/was/as to get the solution.
- Use diagrammatic representation to solve it.
3. Statement conclusion
- In this type of questions ambiguity kicks in.
- There is no definite right or wrong answer, since it depends on the thought process of the candidate.
- Only answer it, if you are 100% sure or the question is really easy.
- Spend no more than 2-3 minutes combined on this topic.
4. Seating Arrangement and Directions:
- It is really easy to figure out from previous paper’s analysis that questions from Sitting arrangement (Liner, Circular) and Directions constitute a major chunk of reasoning section. This is unlikely to change for this year’s paper too.
- The 3 topics mentioned above will carry up to 35-40 marks, making it the WOW topic for this section.
- The best part about Sitting arrangement questions is they are clubbed together. This means they are asked as set of 3-5 questions based on one case.
- So, if you manage to get the initial arrangement correct, you can attempt all questions for that case with 100% accuracy and in a total time of 3-4 minutes.
- Beware, if you do not practice for these type of questions, you will end up spending 10-15 minutes and still get an incorrect answer. This will not only cost you marks but will also result in poor time management for the other parts of the paper.
- So the mantra here would be practice, practice and practice.
- Start by going through the basic concepts of sitting arrangement (try permutation and combination topic from 12th standard NCERT book).
- Solve 2 questions of sitting arrangement and 1 question of direction daily for the next 3 months. This will increase your speed, your visualizing capabilities and moreover you will be prepared for the toughest level of Sitting arrangement questions by the time of your exam.
IBPS Clerk Exam Reasoning Section: Study Plan.
- Do not try to study everything because if you try and study everything you will end up cramming your schedule and ultimately risk being under prepared.
- Accuracy and Speed are the keys for scoring maximum in this section.
- Give 1 hour daily for Reasoning preparation.
- For the next 2-3 days, go through basic concepts and questions for topics stated above.
- Then take up each topic for 3 days and solve maximum questions possible on that topic.
- While doing the above exercise, solve at least 50 questions everyday.
- Start giving Mock Tests. Identify topics you are weak in and again attempt those topics.
- Mock Tests will also help you prepare a timing strategy.
- Talk to experts about those topics and get your doubts solved.
- Practice Practice Practice. All the BEST.
IBPS Clerk Exam Reasoning Section: Practice Quizzes.
- IBPS Clerk Reasoning Practice Quiz 1
- IBPS Clerk Reasoning Practice Quiz 2
- IBPS Clerk Reasoning Practice Quiz 3
- IBPS Clerk Reasoning Practice Quiz 4
- IBPS Clerk Reasoning Practice Quiz 5
- IBPS Clerk Reasoning Practice Quiz 6
- IBPS Clerk Reasoning Practice Quiz 7
- IBPS Clerk Reasoning Practice Quiz 8
- IBPS Clerk Reasoning Practice Quiz 9
Friends this is it for Reasoning Section of IBPS Clerk Exam.If you have any queries regarding the preparation of IBPS Clerk Exam, feel free to ask it in the comments section below. We will be glad to answer them.