In this article you will get RBI Grade B English Pattern.RBI Grade B English Section RBI Grade B English Syllabus. Topic Wise Preparation Tips for General English Section of SRBI Grade B Exam. Study Plan for General English Section of RBI Grade B Exam.
To help you prepare the best, we have started a series of articles on RBI Grade B Exam preparation. In this series we will tell you the pattern/syllabus, study plan and preparation tips of individual sections viz,
How to prepare for General English Section of RBI Grade B Exam
Today we will take up the General English Section of RBI Grade B Exam.
RBI Grade B English Section: Pattern
Below is the section wise breakup of RBI Grade B Phase I exam:
RBI Grade B English Section Syllabus
- Reading Comprehension
- Fill in the blanks
- Error Spotting
- Idioms and Phrases
Preparation books for RBI Grade B English:
|Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis|
Plinth to Paramount) by Neetu Singh
|Objective General English by SP Bakshi|
|High School English Grammar By Wren and Martin|
RBI Grade B Exam General English: Topic Wise Preparation Tips.
1. Reading Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension questions are typically easy to moderate difficulty level.
- 20% questions in RC are from vocabulary. Read the question carefully. Sometimes you are asked to ‘select the word opposite in meaning rather than similar ‘. Make sure you don’t hastily read the question and mark the option accordingly.
- To solve questions from vocabulary, remember that you are NOT expected to know the exact meaning of this word. To answer vocabulary questions, read the passage again and question yourself ‘how is this word used in context’. Predict the meaning of the word and then see the options. Finally select the one closest in meaning to your prediction.
- Read the first and last paragraph to get the gist of the passage. This is useful when answering questions like ‘What does the author wants to convey in this article or What is the theme of this article etc.’
- It is alright to leave some questions (ones which are detailed or require you to read the entire paragraph. ) They take up precious time leaving you with no time for Quant/Reasoning.
- For detailed tips and sample questions on Reading Comprehension please click here.
2. Cloze Test
- The second topic after RC, which doesn’t requires grammar.
- This in combination with RC will make sure that you do not fall short of sectional cutoff.
- The basic tip to solve Cloze test, read the sentence and without looking at the options, fill in the blank. Then look at the options and choose the one which matches your prediction.
- If you are not 100% sure about any option, leave it. Do not waste time on that question.
- Even if you attempt 80% questions, you are good to go.
- Click here to read tips and sample questions on Cloze Test.
3. Sentence Rearrangement (Para jumbles)
- Parajumbles can be tricky.
- If you have 3-4 minutes to spend, then only attempt para jumble.
- One good thing about para jumbles is, if you get the sequence right (even after spending 5 minutes), you will get 5 questions right with 100% accuracy.
- Read the passage carefully.
- Look out for words like ‘Instead’, ‘Furthermore’ etc. Sentences starting with these words will always come in the middle. Eliminate these sentences and check the others. Basically you are looking for starting sentence.
- Generally the starting sentence gives a brief overview about the issue/problem being discussed in the passage. Look for chronological order (dates, time ).
- Once you get the starting right, the rest of the task is easy.
- For sentences with words like ‘instead’, ‘furthermore’, ‘because’, ‘hence’ etc try and find the previous sentences.
- Once you get a skeleton with starting sentence, one or two middle sentences, fill up the rest of sentences in logical manner. To know how to do this, read these tips on parajumbles.
- Please read the above tips very carefully, they will help you to solve parajumbles very easily.
After you have finished ordering the sentences, read the entire rearranged sentence again and see if it makes sense.
4. Grammar Questions (Error Spotting and Fill in the blanks)
- Many people complain about their inability to solve grammar questions, due to low confidence or because their grammar is weak.
- If you solve the above three topics (RC, Parajumbles and Cloze test) you will easily clear sectional cutoff.
- Not only solving above three topics will help you will clear sectional cutoff for english but you will also score high marks (18-20) in english section without even touching grammar.
- That said, go through the error spotting questions, out of 5 there will surely be 1-2 questions which will have very obvious mistakes. Attempt those questions.
- Similarly in fill in the blanks, there are 1-2 questions which can solved without having any knowledge of grammar at all.
RBI Grade B Exam General English Section: Study Plan.
- To qualify in English section, keep your focus on RC, Cloze passage, parajumbles and fill in the blanks.
- Read a good English Newspaper daily to improve your reading Skills.
- Also you can follow these tricks to read it quickly and improve your reading speed.
- Follow a proper study plan designed by Subject Experts.
- Give 1 hour daily for General English preparation.
- For preparation of grammar refer to books of S P Bakshi or A P Bhardwaj.
- Start giving Mock Tests.
- Give at least 1 Mock Test everyday.
- Analyse those Mock Tests to identify the topics you are weak in
- Prepare for those topics and then attempt Subject Tests to boost up your preparation for those topics.
Friends this is it for RBI Grade B English Section.If you have any queries regarding the preparation of RBI Grade B English Section, feel free to ask it in the comments section below. We will be glad to answer them.