Quantitative Aptitude Topic of the day: Ages
Problems on Ages are asked in majority of bank and competitive examinations.
They are generally simple to attempt if you have done practice and remember the formulae. Important formulae to remember are :
1. If the current age is x, then n times the age is nx.
2. If the current age is x, then age n years later/hence = x + n.
3. If the current age is x, then age n years ago = x – n.
4. The ages in a ratio a : b will be ax and bx.
5. If current age is x, then 1/n of the age is x/n.
Attempt the following questions to check your level of preparedness for ages questions in competitive exams. You can answer the questions in comments section. Also make sure you checkout tomorrow’s update for solutions to these questions along with the formulae used in VIDEO format by our Subject Expert.
1. The sum of the present age of A,B and C is 90 years. Six year ago, their ages were in the ratio 1 : 2 : 3. What is the present age of C?
(A) 42 years
(B) 36 years
(C) 46 years
(D) 32 years
2. The ratio of present ages of Deependra and Subendu is 3 : 5 respectively. 5 years ago the ratio of their ages was 10 : 25 respectively. What will be Subendu’s age after 7 years?
(A) 15 years
(B) 35 years
(C) 10 years
(D) 22 years
3 The average age of 30 students and a class teacher is 20 years. If class teacher’s age is excluded, the average age is reduced by 1 year. What is the class teacher’s age?
(A) 39 years
(B) 40 years
(C) 49 years
(D) 50 years
4. 10 years ago the ratio of ages of A and B is 2 : 3. The sum of present age of A and B is 60 years so find the ratio of their ages after 5 years.
(A) 19 : 25
(B) 19 : 25
(C) 39 : 31
(D) 31 : 39
5. The height of a tree varies as the square root of its age (between 5 to 17 years). When the age of the tree is 9 years, its height is 4 feet. What will be the height of the tree at the age of 16 years?
(A) 5 feet 4 inches
(B) 5 feet 5 inches
(C) 4 feet 4 inches
Share these Ages questions with everyone you know and check their answers. Also let us know your comments on video solutions.