The first ever Maritime Summit has been inaugurated by PM Modi.
Details of Maritime Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today inaugurated India’s first-ever Maritime India Summit (MIS) at Goregaon, Mumbai. The summit is aimed at exploring new opportunities by attracting potential global investors from the maritime sector.
- The day started with PM Modi inaugurating an exhibition showcasing the glorified past of the maritime sector at the ship museum in Goregaon.
- While inaugurating the Maritime India Summit PM Modi said, “This is the first time that a global event on such a large scale is being organised by India. But we have to make sure that our lifestyle, transport systems and trading behaviour do not spoil the ecology of the oceans.”
Objective of Maritime Summit
- The objective of the three-day Maritime India Summit is to attract potential investors to the vast opportunities that the various components of the Maritime Sector have on offer.
- The event will have participation of delegates, CEOs and speakers from 41 countries in addition to India. Republic of Korea is the partner country for the Summit. A large delegation led by its Minister of Oceans and Fisheries Kim Young-Suk and comprising of two Deputy Ministers, senior government officials and representatives of 52 maritime sector companies is participating in the Summit.
- The ministers from Mauritius, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Madagascar, Sudan and Maldives will also participate in the Summit.