- The Maharashtra government has decided to open 350 generic medicine stores across the state this year. State Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) minister Girish Bapat said that the government is in the process of opening the maximum number of such stores soon.
- The minister said currently the observation is that doctors do not prescribe generic medicines to patients.
- He also appealed to transport minister Diwakar Raote to allot space in state transport depots to open generic medicine stores.
- Congress MLC Sanjay Dutt said that the price of several medicines is beyond the reach of common man and because of this the central government had initiated the Generic Medicines Scheme.
- Dutt also urged the government to involve legislators in the promotion of the same. “The government should have a dialogue with Indian Medical Association and appeal to doctors to prescribe generic medicines,” Dutt added.