LIC AAO English Language – In this article you will get LIC AAO English Language Pattern. LIC AAO English Language Syllabus. LIC AAO Previous Year’s paper analysis of English Language. Topic Wise Preparation Tips for English Language section LIC AAO 2019. Study Plan for English Language Section of LIC AAO.
LIC AAO English Language Pattern, Syllabus, Study Plan & Preparation Tips.
LIC AAO will be conducted on 4th and 5th May 2019 (Tentative). This means you have less time to prepare and ace the exam.
To help you prepare the best, we have started a series of articles on LIC AAO preparation. In this series we will tell you the pattern/syllabus, study plan, preparation tips and expected cutoffs of individual sections viz, Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning, General Awareness and English Language.
Today we will do a comprehensive analysis of English Language section of LIC AAO Exam 2016. This analysis will help you to understand the classification of questions being asked from various topics of English. Not only that, you will also get an idea about the number of questions that you should attempt to clear sectional cutoffs and finally some handy tips on how to prepare for English Language section of LIC AAO Exam 2019.
LIC AAO English Language: Pattern
|Phase of Exam||No of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
**Marks scored in the English Language are not considered for ranking, they are taken only for qualifying nature.
LIC AAO English Language Syllabus
A total of 30 questions will be asked from the following topics:
|Topic||No. of Questions|
|Fill in the blanks||4-5|
LIC AAO Exam: Study Plan for English Section
- As we know that the English section is only qualifying in nature. It means the cutoff for English will not be high. It will be just to check your basic knowledge of the language section of LIC AAO Exam.
- To qualify in English section, keep your focus on RC, Cloze passage, parajumbles and fill in the blanks.
- The maximum time to be given for the above topics is :
- RC: 7 minutes
- Cloze passage: 2-4 minutes
- Parajumbles: 3 minutes
- Fill in the blanks: 20 seconds per question
- The total time given to the English section should be 15 minutes.
- Aim for solving 20-25 questions in these 15 minutes.
- You would always want to have a second look at the option, just to be sure. DO NOT do it! Trust your instincts and utilise that time for solving other sections instead.
- While reading newspapers and magazines for preparation of GA section, pay attention to the structure of sentence, the words, tenses, verbs and other figures of speech used. This will come in handy while answering questions with 90%+ accuracy.
- No matter what you read and where you read, follow these tricks to read it quickly and improve your reading speed.
- Take daily vocabulary challenge to improve your understanding of complex words in the English language.
- For preparation of most important topics, click on the following links:
- In all you should attempt 25 questions in English section.
- For preparation of grammar refer to books of S P Bakshi or A P Bharadwaj.
- Give one mock daily, to audit your preparation and measure your improvement each day.
With only a few weeks remaining for LIC AAO Exam, we have come up with last minute tips and tricks to crack English Section of IBPS Clerk Prelims 2018.
LIC AAO Exam:Topic Wise Preparation Tips for English Section
1. Reading Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension questions are typically easy to moderate difficulty level.
- 20% questions in RC are from vocabulary. Read the question carefully. Sometimes you are asked to ‘select the word opposite in meaning rather than similar ‘. Make sure you don’t hastily read the question and mark the option accordingly.
- To solve questions from vocabulary, remember that you are NOT expected to know the exact meaning of this word. To answer vocabulary questions, read the passage again and question yourself ‘how is this word used in context’. Predict the meaning of the word and then see the options. Finally select the one closest in meaning to your prediction.
- Read the first and last paragraph to get the gist of the passage. This is useful when answering questions like ‘What does the author wants to convey in this article or What is the theme of this article etc.’
- It is alright to leave some questions (ones which are detailed or require you to read the entire paragraph. ) They take up precious time leaving you with no time for Quant/Reasoning.
- For detailed tips and sample questions on Reading Comprehension please click here.
2. Cloze Test
- The second topic after RC, which doesn’t requires grammar.
- This in combination with RC will make sure that you do not fall short of sectional cutoff.
- The basic tip to solve Cloze test, read the sentence and without looking at the options, fill in the blank. Then look at the options and choose the one which matches your prediction.
- If you are not 100% sure about any option, leave it. Do not waste time on that question.
- Even if you attempt 80% questions, you are good to go.
- Click here to read tips and sample questions on Cloze Test.
3. Sentence Rearrangement (Para jumbles)
- Parajumbles can be tricky.
- If you have 3-4 minutes to spend, then only attempt para jumble.
- One good thing about para jumbles is, if you get the sequence right (even after spending 5 minutes), you will get 5 questions right with 100% accuracy.
- Read the passage carefully.
- Look out for words like ‘Instead’, ‘Furthermore’ etc. Sentences starting with these words will always come in the middle. Eliminate these sentences and check the others. Basically you are looking for starting sentence.
- Generally the starting sentence gives a brief overview about the issue/problem being discussed in the passage. Look for chronological order (dates, time ).
- Once you get the starting right, the rest of the task is easy.
- For sentences with words like ‘instead’, ‘furthermore’, ‘because’, ‘hence’ etc try and find the previous sentences.
- Once you get a skeleton with starting sentence, one or two middle sentences, fill up the rest of sentences in logical manner. To know how to do this, read these tips on parajumbles.
- Please read the above tips very carefully, they will help you to solve parajumbles very easily.
After you have finished ordering the sentences, read the entire rearranged sentence again and see if it makes sense.
4. Grammar Questions (Error Spotting and Fill in the blanks)
- Many people complain about their inability to solve grammar questions, due to low confidence or because their grammar is weak.
- If you solve the above three topics (RC, Parajumbles and Cloze test) you will easily clear sectional cutoff for english in IBPS Clerk Prelims 2015.
- Not only solving above three topics will help you will clear sectional cutoff for english but you will also score high marks (18-20) in english section without even touching grammar.
- That said, go through the error spotting questions, out of 5 there will surely be 1-2 questions which will have very obvious mistakes. Attempt those questions.
- Similarly in fill in the blanks, there are 1-2 questions which can solved without having any knowledge of grammar at all.
LIC AAO Exam: General Preparation Tips for English Section
- To score well and to clear sectional cutoffs , go for solving topics not related to grammar.
- Even in those topics, do not solve all the questions. Solve only those, of which you are 100% sure off.
- Follow a plan. You need to attempt 18-25 questions.
- If you feel that you are lagging a bit, solve grammar questions but with utmost care.
- Solving 70-80% questions with 100% accuracy is better than solving 100% questions with 70-80% accuracy.
- Not only solving more questions require more time it also effects your overall score due to negative marking.
Friends, this is it for Preparation of English section of LIC AAO Exam.
Please let us know about any questions, passages or doubts which are hampering your English preparation in the comments section below and we will be glad to solve them for you. All the best!