In this article
- Current Affairs Today 1 : Reliance Infra sold its Cement Plant to Birla Corp
- Current Affairs Today 2 : Rahul Dravid appointed as member of ICC’s Anti-Corruption Unit Oversight Group
- Current Affairs Today 3 : India’s Labour Ministry signed agreements with 8 organizations to create more jobs
- Current Affairs Today 4 : Rise of Digital India Exhibition in Colombo inaugurated by Sushma Swaraj
- Current Affairs Today 5 : Renowned cartoonist Sudhir Tailang died
Current Affairs Today 1 : Reliance Infra sold its Cement Plant to Birla Corp
On 4 February 2016, Reliance Infrastructure Ltd (RInfra) announced the signing of Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) with Birla Corporation Ltd for the 100% sale of its subsidiary Reliance Cement Company Private Limited (RCCPL).
RInfra is an entity of the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (Reliance ADAG).
Birla Corp belongs to the M P Birla Group.
The deal was valued at Rs. 4800 crore or 140 US dollars per tonne and the profits will be utilized by RInfra towards debt reduction.
Under the Share Purchase Agreement, Birla Corp will acquire an integrated cement capacity of 5.08 Metric tonnes per annum (Mtpa) at Maihar in Madhya Pradesh and Kundanganj in Uttar Pradesh and a grinding unit of 0.5 Mtpa at Butibori in Maharashtra.
Current Affairs Today 2 : Rahul Dravid appointed as member of ICC’s Anti-Corruption Unit Oversight Group
The International Cricket Council (ICC) Board constituted Anti-Corruption Unit Oversight Group on 3 February 2016.
A decision regarding this matter was taken at a meeting headed by the ICC Chairman Shashank Manohar. The meeting was held at the ICC headquarters in Dubai, the UAE.
Other than Rahul Dravid as a member, the group will consist of a Chairman, two members and two ex-official members.
The ICC mandated the Anti-Corruption Unit Oversight Group to:
- Meet once a year to evaluate and provide self-determining input into the strategy adopted by the sport to tackle corruption and its implementation.
- To offer its recommendation and direction to the Chairman of the Anti Corruption Unit (ACU) when required.
ICC Anti-Corruption Unit Oversight Group
- David Peever is the Chairman of the ICC Executive Committee
- Rahul Dravid, member and former Indian captain
- Louis Weston member, a legal advisor and independent anti-corruption advisor
- John Abbott member and Chairman of the Integrity Working Party
- Ronnie Flanagan and Chairman of the ACU
- David Richardson ex-official member and ICC Chief Executive
Current Affairs Today 3 : India’s Labour Ministry signed agreements with 8 organizations to create more jobs
On 5 February 2016, The Union Labor Ministry signed agreements with top organizations engaged in employment and career related activities. They were signed to use the potential of the National Career Service (NCS) project.
The MoUs signed with: Quikr, Uber, Monster, Tech Mahindra, India Staffing Federation, Babajobs, GoldFish and Buzzmatic Ventures and will help in widening the scope and scale of the project.
The partnership will provide clear and realistic platform and save both employers and job seekers from potential fraudulent practices.
National Career Service project
- An initiative launched in 2015 as Information and Communication Technologies based platform for providing employment services to public.
- Aims to meet the aspirations of youth for jobs with the industry demand and has evolved a policy for entering into partnerships with leading organizations.
- On 20 July 2015 the Government launched the National Career Counseling Portal to modernize all government-run employment exchanges.
Current Affairs Today 4 : Rise of Digital India Exhibition in Colombo inaugurated by Sushma Swaraj
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj inaugurated the Rise of Digital India Exhibition in Colombo on 6 February 2016. The exhibition was a part of Sangam -The Festival of India in Sri Lanka 2015-16.
She was on a 2 day visit to Sri Lanka to co-chair the 9th session of the India-Sri Lanka Joint Commission meeting along with her Sri Lankan counterpart, Mangala Samaraweera.
The Rise of Digital India exhibition showcases the scheme of Indian government to take the benefits of Information Technology to the common man. The exhibition is a part of the six month long Festival of India celebrations in Sri Lanka.
Current Affairs Today 5 : Renowned cartoonist Sudhir Tailang died
Cartoonist Sudhir Tailang died due to brain tumor in Gurgaon on 6 February 2016.
The 55 year old, who chronicled modern Indian politics with humour.
About Sudhir Tailang
- Awarded Padma Shri in 2004.
- Recently launched a book of cartoons titled No, Prime Minister, with a set of cartoons on former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- Born in Bikaner on 26 February 1960
- Tailang came out with his first cartoon in 1970
- Started his carrier as a cartoonist with the Illustrated Weekly of India in Mumbai in 1982.
- Later, he worked with many newspapers like Navbharat Times, Hindustan Times, Times of India, and the Indian Express.
- Last assignment was with the Asian Age.