In this article
Current Affairs Today 1 : Sarangi genius Pandit Ram Narayan selected for Bhimsen Joshi Award
Sarangi genius Pandit Ram Narayan was selected for the prestigious Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award for 2015-2016 on 3 February 2016.
His selection for the award was announced in Mumbai by Maharashtra’s Cultural Affairs Minister Vinod Tawde.
About Pandit Ram Narayan
- Popularised the bowed instrument sarangi as a solo concert instrument in Hindustani classical music
- Became the first internationally successful sarangi player.
- All India Radio, Lahore, hired him as an accompanist for vocalists in 1944
- Moved to Delhi following the partition of India in 1947.
- Later he moved to Mumbai in 1949 to work in Indian cinema.
- Became a concert solo artist in 1956.
- Recorded solo albums and began to tour America and Europe in the 1960s.
- Awarded India’s second highest civilian honour, the Padma Vibhushan, in 2005.
About Bhimsen Joshi Award (Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award)
- An annual award, instituted by the Maharashtra Government.
- Given to individuals who have excelled in classical vocal or instrumental music.
- The award comprises 5 lakh rupees in cash, a trophy and a citation.
Current Affairs Today 2 : Aruna Sethi will be 1st woman head of Indian Cost Accounting Service
Aruna Sethi, the Principal Adviser (Cost), took over charge as the head of Indian Cost Accounts Service (ICoAS) on 1 February 2016. With her appointment, she became the 1st woman to occupy the post.
Prior to the present elevation, Aruna, a 1985 batch ICoAS officer, held important portfolios in Government of India including Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Ministry of Defence, etc.
About Indian Cost Accounts Service
- One among the 6 organized accounting services of the Government of India.
- A comparatively young accounting service constituted in 1978.
- The ICoAS Officers have the requisite skill by virtue of their professional background and experience gained in managing the multifarious and complex issues relating to financial and cost management matters.
- Office of Chief Adviser Cost is one of the divisions functioning in the Department of Expenditure.
- A professional body staffed by qualified Cost/ Chartered Accountants.
- The Office is responsible for advising the Ministries and Government Undertakings on cost accounts matters and to undertake cost investigation work on their behalf.
Current Affairs Today 3 : CSIR launched India’s first Ayurvedic anti-diabetic drug, BGR-34
Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) launched the BGR-34, the country’s first anti-diabetic ayurvedic drug for Diabetes on 3 February 2016.
As part of the Global Ayurveda Festival in the city, the ayurvedic drug was launched at Kozhikode, Kerala by CSIR’s Senior Principal Scientist Dr AKS Rawat.
- BGR is an acronym for blood glucose regulator.
- Designed for type 2 Diabetes mellitus
- Scientifically validated for its effectiveness and safety.
- Priced at Rs. 5 per tablet, the medicine is now available at all major chemist counters in Kerala.
- The drug works by controlling blood sugar level (anti-hyperglycaemic property) and
- Limits the harmful effects of other drugs.
- Not toxic in nature nor carries any side-effects.
- Developed by CSIR in collaboration with National Botanical Research Institute and Central Institute for Medicinal and Aromatic Plant.
- Developed as diabetes has become a major threat in the health sector and about 6 crore of adult Indian population was found to be diabetic and there is no effective solution for the disease yet.