Current Affairs Today 1 : Government Job Portal launched for Persons with Disabilities
On 27 January 2016, The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot, launched the National level Job portal www.disabilityjobs.gov.in for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
Highlights of the job portal
- Developed by the National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC).
- Aims to carry out skill training programme for 5 lakh PwDs in next 3 years
- PwDs can avail different facilities on this portal like: self employment loan, skill training, education loan, link to scholarships and job information.
- Empower persons with disabilities by providing all desired information for employment opportunities on a single window platform.
Current Affairs Today 2 : FIH Hockey Stars 2015 winners announced
26 January 2016, the International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced the winners of Hockey Stars awards for 2015.
The men’s and women’s FIH Player of the Year award were bagged by: Netherlands’ Robert Van der Horst and Lidewij Welten respectively, for their performances in 2015.
Other winners of the awards are:
|Goalkeeper of the year (Women)
||Joyce Sombroek (The Netherlands)
|Goalkeeper of the year (Men)
||David Harte (Ireland)
|Rising Star of the Year (Women)
||Lily Owsley (Great Britain)
|Rising Star of the Year (Men)
||Chrisopher Rühr (Germany)
About FIH Player of the Year Awards
- Established in 1998
- Annually awarded by the International Hockey Federation to the male and female field hockey players considered to be the best in the world.
- FIH Young Player of the Year award was created in 2001, to be awarded to the best young field hockey player of the year.
Current Affairs Today 3 : Chennupati Jagadish, Jay Chandra honored with Order of Australia along with Koshyi Jagadish and Jay Chandra, with an Indian origin were honored with the Order of Australia, on the occasion of the Australia Day on 26 January 2016.
- An eminent professor at Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra.
- Conferred with the award for his eminent service to physics and engineering, mainly in the field of nanotechnology.
- An eye doctor in New South Wales.
- Received the award for his significant service to medicine in the field of ophthalmology as a clinician
- Also for his service to the international community through eye care programs.
They were awarded along with Sajeev Koshy, a dentist from Kerala who settled in Melbourne.
About Order of Australia
- An order of chivalry established by Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia on 14 February 1975.
- Highest civilian honor in Australia
- Awarded to recognize Australian citizens and other persons for achievement or meritorious service.
- Before the establishment of the order, Australian citizens received British honors.
Current Affairs Today 4 : Indian activist Henri Tiphagne selected for Amnesty International Human Rights Award 2016 and human rights defender Henri Tiphagne on 26 January 2016 was selected for the 8th Human Rights Award by Amnesty International Germany.
The award is an acknowledgment of Tiphagne’s exceptional commitment to human rights.
He will be conferred with the award at an official ceremony at the Maxim Gorki Theatre in Berlin, Germany on 25 April 2016.
About Henri Tiphagne
- Founder of the organization People’s Watch, one of the most notable human rights organizations in India.
- Founded an institute offering training for teachers as well as mentoring around school human rights education programmes in 1997.
- Formerly a member of the National Core Group of NGOs of the National Human Rights Commission of India.
- State Representative for the State of Tamil Nadu for Right to Education Act of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights.
About People’s Watch
- Researches and documents human rights violations, as well as provides legal representation to those affected, for more than 20 years.
- Actively supports human rights education.
About Amnesty International Human Rights Award
- Presented by Amnesty Germany every 2 years.
- For recognition of individuals or organizations campaigning for human rights under difficult conditions.
- Aims to honor and support the awardees’ exceptional human rights dedication and raise awareness of their work between the German public.
- 10000 Euros provided by Amnesty Germany’s foundation Stiftung Menschenrechte, Förderstiftung Amnesty along with the award.
- Previous award recipients include: Monira Rahman from Bangladesh (2006), Women of Zimbabwe Arise from Zimbabwe (2008), Abel Barrera from Mexico (2011) and Alice Nkom from Cameroon (2014).
Current Affairs Tod
Current Affairs Today 5 : Peacetime Gallantry Awardees 2016 Listapproved the award of 1 Ashok Chakra, 2 Kirti Chakras and 8 Shaurya Chakras to the Indian Army personnel on the occasion of Republic Day 2016.
Click here to view – List of Peacetime Gallantry Awardees 2016
About Peacetime gallantry awards
- These awards are biannual and are given on the Republic Day and Independence Day.
- This award may be granted to civilians or to military personnel
- It is the highest Military award for Peacetime
- Divided into Ashok Chakra, Kirti Chakra and Shaurya Chakra
Ashok Chakra Award
- Awarded for valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice, away from the battlefield.
- Peacetime equivalent of the Param Vir Chakra.
- Second in order of precedence of peacetime gallantry awards.
- Third in order of precedence of peacetime gallantry awards.