Current Affairs Today 1 : Germany’s Angelique Kerber won 2016 Australian Open women’s singles tennis title
Angelique Kerber of Germany won the 2016 Australian Open women’s singles tennis title on 30 January 2016, at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Australia.
To win her grand slam title, the seventh seed defeated the world number 1 ranking USA’s Serena Williams by 6-4 3-6 6-4.
For 28-year-old Kerber, the final match was her 1st major final. The win was also just Kerber’s 2nd in seven career meetings with Serena.
Serena Williams won the title in 2015 championships and is short of 1 title from moving into a tie with Germany’s Steffi Graf as the winner of highest major singles titles with 22.
Current Affairs Today 2 : Novak Djokovic won 2016 Australian Open Men’s Singles Titled Number One Novak Djokovic won the Australian Open Men’s Singles title. For the final played at Melbourne, he defeated Britain’s Andy Murray in straight sets 6-1, 7-5, 7-6.
Djokovic retained his title and also equaled Roy Emerson’s record of six Australian Open Singles titles.
On the other hand, the defending champion also kept his record against Murray in Australian Open final by defeating the Briton for the fourth time in Men’s singles at the year’s first Grand Slam championship.
Murray succumbed to his 5th loss in five Australian Open finals. Djokovic claimed his 11th grand slam title and matched the totals of Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg.
About 2016 Australian Open
- A tennis tournament
- Place: Melbourne Park
- Date: 18–31 January 2016
- The 104th edition of the Australian Open
- The first Grand Slam tournament of the year.
Current Affairs Today 3Current Affairs Today 3 : Book titled Nathuram Godse – The Story of an Assassin released Assassin: Anup Ashok Sardesai
On 30 January 2016, the book titled ‘Nathuram Godse – The Story of an Assassin’ by Anup Ashok Sardesai was released.
The book was released by Damodar Naik, BJP Leader and the chairman of Ravindra Bhavan, at Ravindra Bhavan in Margao, Goa.
The book narrates the story of Nathuram Vinayakrao Godse who died an untimely death, the countless abuses and humiliations faced by his family and his brother who suffered a life of immense mental torture.
The author claims through the book that all of this was mended because of Godse’s love for his country and mentioned that Godse is India’s most hated criminal.
The book also justifies Godse’s act of killing Mahatma Gandhi by stating that he could not bear the pressure of partition of his country in front of his eyes and the slaughtering of his fellow countrymen.
The book also highlights:
- The reason that forced him to decide that he must turn into a killer on 12 January.
- The role of Narayan Apte, Vishnu Karkare, Madanlal Pahwa and Gopal Godse role in the conspiracy
- Involvement of an outsider in the assassination of Gandhi
- On whose instruction was Savarkar arrested and implicated for this crime
- Could this murder have been prevented by the police?
- Was a very influential organization involved in this crime?
- How did Digambar Badge turn approver?
Current Affairs Today 4 : <
Current Affairs Today 4 : CM Nitish Kumar selected for K Veeramani Award for Social Justicehe prestigious K Veeramani Award for Social Justice 2015 on 29 January 2016.
He is chosen for the award for his contribution towards social justice as Chief Minister.
The award is given by Periyar International, a Chicago-based voluntary organization. The date and venue of the award function are yet to be decided.
About K Veeramani Award for Social Justice
- Constituted in 1996
- Instituted by the non-resident Indian (NRI) followers of Periyar E. V. Ramasami, a great social reformer of India.
- Instituted in Dr. K. Veeramani’s name to recognize his contributions in creating a mass awareness in India on social equality and respect for human dignity.
- An international award which is awarded every year to an individual or an institution that has contributed immensely to the cause of social justice.
- Recognizes a single event or a lifetime contribution that is responsible for the liberation of a section of the society from the oppressions of social injustice.
- Recipients include: former Prime Minister V P Singh, former Uttar Pradesh CM Mayawati, former Tamil Nadu CM M Karunanidhi, former Maharashtra deputy CM Chhagan Bhujbal and former AICC president Sitaram Kesri.
- Professor Dhaneswar Sahoo was honoured with the award in 2014.
Current Affairs Today 5 : Current Affairs Today 5 : Kidambi Srikanth won Men’s Singles of Syed Modi International Badminton Championship 2016ingles title of the Syed Modi International Badminton Championships 2016 on 31 January 2016.
For the final played at Babu Banarasi Das Indoor Stadium in Lucknow, He defeated China’s Huang Yuxiang, 21-13, 14-21, 21-14.
This was Srikanth’s 5th title overall, the 4 other titles include:
- Thailand Grand Prix Gold
- China Super Series premier
- Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold
- India Super Series
Other results of the Championships are
Korean Sung Ji Hyun defeated Japan’s Sayako Sato, 12-21, 21-18, 21-18.
Malaysian pair of Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Kiong defeated India’s Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar, 14-21, 24-22, 21-8.
Korean pair Jung Kyung Eun and Shin Seung Chan defeated Netherlands Eefje Muskens and Selena Piek, 21-15, 21-13.
Indonesian pair Praveen Jordan and Debby Susanto defeated Thailand’s Puavaranukroh Dechapol and Sapsiree Taerattanchai, 23-25, 21-9, 21-16.
About Syed Modi International Badminton Championships
- Named after a famous Indian badminton player Syed Modi,
- Syed Modi was an eight-time National Badminton champion.
- Hosted every year.
- Award money for each category is 120000 US dollars.