Dear IBPS PO aspirants
IBPS PO prelims are currently going on. We sincerely hope you performed well in your prelim attempt. If your IBPS PO Prelim attempt is this weekend, don’t forget to read our 10 Last Minute Tips for IBPS PO Prelims and improve your chances of getting selected for the IBPS PO Mains 2015.
As per official notification, PO Mains will be conducted on 31st of October 2015. Below we have done a complete breakdown of IBPS PO mains syllabus . Please read it carefully and ask your questions in comments section below.
Syllabus of IBPS PO Mains Exam:
No. of Questions: 200
Negative Marking: Yes 25%. i.e. for every wrong answer 0.25 marks will be deducted from overall score.
Duration: 2 Hours (120 minutes)
The exam will be divided into 5 sections. viz
- Reasoning: 50 questions will be asked for 1 mark each totaling 50 marks, testing your analytical, puzzle, data sufficiency and logical reasoning skills.
- English Language: 40 questions of 1 mark each, total 40 marks. This section will be comprised of usual RC, cloze passage and sentence completion.
- Quantitative Aptitude: 50 questions will be asked for total of 50 marks to test your quant and mathematics skills.
- General Awareness: 40 questions will be asked for 40 marks. This section will have a special reference to banking industry.
- Computer Knowledge: Only 20 questions would be asked for 20 marks, testing general computer knowledge.
Let us now do section wise analysis of IBPS PO Mains Syllabus
Quantitative Aptitude: 50 questions
The quantitative aptitude section in IBPS PO Mains tests your calculation skills and knowledge of mathematics(school level). The challenge lies in the fact that everyone of us has learned these concepts at some point in our school life, we tend to forget the associated formulae and shortcuts. Various sub topics along with the number of questions expected in quantitative section of IBPS PO Mains 2015 are as follows:
- Profit Loss, Time, Speed & Distance, Mixture, Trains, Age, Geometry: 12-15
- Series: 5
- Data Interpretation: 15-20
- Quadratic Equations: 3-5
- Data Sufficiency: 5
You can start by revising the following concepts
- BODMAS rule
- Squares, cubes, square roots and cube roots : squares of first 30 whole numbers and cubes of first 20 numbers.
- Rules of Surds and Indices
- Multiplication and division of large numbers and Multiplication tables up to 30 or 35
- Addition and subtraction of fractions
- Conversion of fractions to percentage and vice versa
Reasoning: 50 questions
The reasoning section of IBPS PO Mains is a test of your analytical and logical reasoning skills i.e. how you interpret data and analyse information given in the form of puzzles, brain teasers and/or clues and ultimately sort it to arrive at a meaningful outcome. The amount of theoretical knowledge required to answer the questions is comparatively less. The sub topics to be asked along with expected number of questions are as follows:
- Syllogisms: 3-5
- Seating Arrangement: 10-15
- Data Sufficiency: 5-10
- Coding – Decoding: 5
- Puzzles: 5
- Assumptions: 5-10
- Logical Reasoning: 15-20
English: 40 questions
This section is often referred to as the Verbal Ability. This section of IBPS PO mains besides testing your language skills (vocabulary or English grammar) also tests your language comprehension skills along with your ability to interpret information in English language. Focus on improving your reading skills and you will fare well in these topics:
- Reading Comprehension: 15-20 questions.
- Cloze Test: 8-10 questions.
- Para Jumbles: 5-10 questions.
- Sentence Correction: 5-10 questions.
General Knowledge and Current Affairs: 40 questions
The biggest misconception about the general knowledge and current affairs section of IBPS PO main is that it only tests your remembering certain dates and venues. i.e. the trivial knowledge. However it is more a test of your general awareness more than your knowledge of trivia and random information. Following is the list of topics along with the expected number of questions which will come in IBPS PO mains 2015
- General Awareness: 5-10
- Banking Awareness: 10-15
- Current Affairs: 15
The computer knowledge section in IBPS PO exam was added due to the increasing usage of computers & internet in various banking jobs. In IBPS PO mains you are expected to have working knowledge of computers, their applications and how to use them. Consequently, your technical expertise in this field is not checked, while your proficiency with common computer applications is given higher value.
The main areas from which questions will be asked are: Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Networking, Basic Hardware and Software, DBMS.
Checkout this IBPS PO Mains Computer Knowledge Quiz. Comment your score in the section below. We hope IBPS PO Mains syllabus is helpful to you.