IBPS PO Exam Pattern & Selection Process 2018, View complete detail here New Changes In IBPS PO Exam Pattern 2018.
IBPS PO Exam Pattern and Syllabus 2018
IBPS PO Exam Pattern 2018: IBPS PO 2018 Exam Pattern describes the nature of questions, marking scheme, section-wise marks distribution, total number of questions, etc. It is decided by the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) each year. Exam Dates for IBPS PO 2018 has been released by IBPS. The preliminary exam of IBPS PO 2018 is scheduled on 13th, 14th, 20th and 21st October 2018 and IBPS PO Mains Exam 2018 is scheduled on 18th November 2018. To ace IBPS PO Exam2018, it is necessary to the Exam pattern and detailed syllabus of this exam. This will help you to prepare judiciously for IBPS PO Exam 2018. Let’s understand the IBPS PO Exam Pattern and Selection Process 2018 one by one.
IBPS PO Selection Procedure
The IBPS PO/MT selection process will be carried out in three stages, the first one is Preliminary Examination, second stage is Main Examination & third stage is Common Interview conducted by IBPS.
- Phase I – Preliminary Exam
- Phase II – Main Exam
- Phase II – Personal Interview
IBPS PO Exam Pattern At a Glance
|Number of Rounds||3 (Prelims, Mains, Interview)|
|Number of Questions in Prelims||100|
|Number of Questions in Main Exam||155|
|Total Marks for Prelims||100|
|Total Marks for Mains||200|
|Marking Scheme||+1 for correct answer
-0.25 for incorrect answer
|Exam Duration for Prelims||1 hour (60 minutes)|
|Exam Duration for Mains||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Type of Questions||MCQs (Additional Descriptive paper in Mains)|
|Conducting Authority||IBPS (ibps.in)|
IBPS PO Exam Pattern 2018
IBPS has released new exam pattern for IBPS PO 2018-19 Exam. Now IBPS introduced separate sectional timing for each section in preliminary exam. IBPS PO Exam 2018 will be conducted in three phases: Preliminary Exam, Mains Exam and Interview Process. It is mandatory for a candidate to clear each level of examination to get selected to the post of Probationary Officer in multiple Public Sector Banks.
IBPS PO Preliminary Exam Pattern 2018
The IBPS PO preliminary examination is conducted online and candidates are allocated total duration of 1 hour to complete the preliminary exam. There is negative marking in IBPS PO preliminary exam and 0.25 marks are deducted for each wrong answer attempted by a candidate. It is necessary to clear the cut-off in all 3 sections to qualify for the IBPS PO Main exam.
|S.No.||Name of Tests (Objective)||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|1||English Language||30||30||20 minutes|
|2||Numerical Ability||35||35||20 minutes|
|3||Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 minutes|
IBPS PO Mains Exam Pattern 2018
IBPS PO Mains Exam has encountered quite a number of changes. Let’s have a look at all these changes in detail.
• Introduction of Descriptive Paper: Just like SBI PO Exam 2018, IBPS introduced Descriptive Paper in its Mains Examination where applicants will be judged on their written skills. An essay and a letter will be given to applicants to write that will constitute of 25 marks and that has to be completed in a time span of 30 minutes.
• The overall time allotted for each section has also been changed.
• No separate paper will be conducted for Computer Applications. Reasoning is teamed up with Computer Aptitude section and this entire section will contain 45 questions of a total of 60 marks.
• The overall time allotted for IBPS PO Mains 2018 Exam has also been changed from 140 minutes to 180 minutes.
IBPS PO Mains – Objective Test
|Sr. No.||Name of test||No. of Questions||Max. Marks||Medium of Examination||Time Allotted|
|1||Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||45||60||English & Hindi||60 minutes|
|2||English Language||35||40||English only||40 minutes|
|3||Data Analysis and Interpretation||35||60||English & Hindi||45 minutes|
|4||General, Economy/Banking Awareness||40||40||English & Hindi||35 minutes|
IBPS PO Mains – Descriptive Test
The descriptive paper will be of 30 minutes duration with 25 marks assigned to the test of English Language. You will be tested on Letter Writing & Essay. You will be needed to secure passing marks to qualify the Descriptive Test, to be decided by the Bank.
IBPS PO Exam 2018 Interview Process
- Candidates who have secured the minimum qualifying marks in IBPS PO Mains will be eligible to take part in the interview round.
- The interview round will carry 100 marks.
- This is the final stage in the selection process of IBPS PO exam.
- This round carries 20% weightage in the final result.
- Through this round, a candidate’s communication skills and personality is examined.
Highlights of IBPS PO Interview Process
- Minimum qualifying marks for General Category candidates is 40%. Candidates belonging to reserved category should score a minimum of 35% marks.
- Final Merit List is prepared on the basis of IBPS Mains and Interview round.
- IBPS PO Combined Score would be declared on the basis of scores obtained by the candidates in the Main Examination and Interview in the ratio of 80:20
- After the interview round concludes, provisional allotment will be done as per the vacancies in different banks.
What are the changes made in IBPS PO Exam Pattern?
Five major changes have been made in the IBPS PO exam pattern since 2017:
- The Prelims exam has been separately timed
- The total number of questions in the Main exam has been decreased
- Time duration for the Main exam has been increased
- The Reasoning Ability section and the Computer Aptitude section have been merged into one section in the Main exam
- A descriptive section (English Language – Letter Writing and Essay) has been added to the Main exam
Important Dates For IBPS PO Exam 2018-19
|Online registration starts||14th August 2018|
|Online registration ends||4th September 2018|
|Call letters release for Pre-Exam Training||September 2018|
|Pre-Exam Training||1st October 2018 to 7th October 2018|
|Call letters release for Preliminary exam||October 2018|
|Preliminary exam||13th, 14th, 20th and 21st October 2018|
|Declaration of Prelims result||October/November 2018|
|Call letters release for Mains exam||November 2018|
|IBPS PO Main exam||18th November 2018|
|Declaration of Mains result||December 2018|
|Call letters release for Personal Interview||January 2019|
|Conduct of Personal Interview||January/ February 2019|
|Provisional allotment||April 2019|
IBPS PO Preparation Tips
IBPS PO is a highly competitive entrance exam. Both the exams- preliminary and mains, have the same syllabus but the difference lies in the level of difficulty of the questions. Here are a few preparation tips for the applicants.
It is a section that doesn’t need much attention and is very scoring if you practice regularly. Candidates should focus more on the analytical part. Given below are the topics which can fetch you more marks.
- Making series/ analogy
- Number Series
- Coding and Decoding
- Problem Solving
- Passage and conclusions type questions
- Comprehension Reasoning etc.
General Ability Section
- GA is the easiest among all sections.
- Candidates should be updated with current affairs in order to score well.
- Most of the questions in this section are asked from current affairs. Having the habit of reading newspapers daily will help a lot.
- Along with the general awareness, candidates should be aware of the banking terms and its updates.
- GA is a very scoring section and it is less time-consuming. Following are the topics which are to be focused to fetch good marks- Current Affairs of last 6 months, Indian Economy Questions, Marketing, Awards & Honors Sports, Books & Authors, Finance, Agriculture, Banking History, Banking Terms, RBI Functions and Fiscal-Monetary Policies.
English Language Section
- The questions in this section are based on grade 10.
- To score well in this section, candidates should practice hard from reference books.
- This section tests the grammatical skills in the candidates appearing for IBPS PO exam.
- This section is less time consuming and it is a scoring section too.
- Candidates should be thorough with the rules of grammar in order to score well in the exam.
- Some of the most important topics include- Fill in the Blanks, Comprehension Passage, phrases, and idioms, Spotting Error Questions, Preposition, and Sentence Improvement etc.
Read More IBPS PO English Language
- This section is considered as the toughest of all the sections though a rigorous practice makes it easy.
- Most of the questions in this section can be solved by using short-tricks.
- This section needs a focused mind and regular practice.
- The topics on which most of the questions are asked include Data Interpretation (DI), Sequence & Series, Number System, Quadratic Equations, Sequence & Series, Ratio, Proportion Percentage & Averages, Simplification etc.
Read More IBPS PO Quantitative Aptitude
- It is a very easy section and candidates can even score full marks in it.
- The topics that can be prepared well to score high marks include Basics of Computers, Basic internet knowledge and protocols, Network basics (LAN & WAN), Generations of computer, Input & Output Device, Shortcuts & Basic knowledge MS Word, MS Excel, MS power point, and Computer Shortcuts etc.
IBPS PO Preparation Tips for Interview
The very last hurdle to get selected for the post of PO/MT is clearing the Interview. Candidates who clear all the written exams would be called for the personal interview. Here are some Preparation Tips for IBPS PO Interview.
- Greet your interviewers.
- If you are not offered your seat, ask them for it. And sit comfortably.
- Forward your CV to the interviewer and wait till they ask you questions.
- Candidates should bear a smile and maintain proper eye contact during the interview.
- If you don’t know the answer, simply say NO and there is no need be panic. Be smart while answering the questions as the next question can be connected to your previous answer.
- They can even check your patience level so be cool.
- When you are done with the interview, stand up politely, shake hands with the interview panel and leave the room quietly.