IAS Exam Preparation of Science & Technology via Infographics
You will be tested by UPSC on Questions relating to Science & Technology. ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Mission (MoM) Mangalyaan is extremely significant from examination point of view.
Science & Technology for IAS Exam Preparation 2016
Topic – Mars Orbiter Mission – Mangalyaan
Facts About Mars
- Has two moons: Phobos and Deimos
- 4th planet from Sun
- 2nd smallest planet in the Solar system after Mercury.
- Diameter: ~6800 kms (Mars); Earth (~12700 kms)
- Volume wise, ~8 Mars would fit inside our Earth.
- One Martian day: 24 hours 37 minutes
- One Martian year: 687 days
- Mars is also tilted on its axis (25 degrees).
- Mars gravity 1/10th of Earth.
- When Sun and Mars are in opposite direction, it can be easily observed from Earth.
Facts About Mangalyaan
- MoM/Mangalyaan: first Indian spacecraft to cross Earth’s escape velocity of 11.2 km per second.
- Mangalyaan traveled for ~300 days, covering ~65 crore kilometers, and reached Martian orbit in September 2014.
- Mangalyan is not the fastest spacecraft to reach Mars. Others are far ahead of It, in terms of speed. For example- European Space Agency’s Mars mission (2003) reached Mars in ~210 days.
- MoM cost 7 rupees per kms to reach
ISRO’s MoM Versus NASA’s Maven
|ISRO’s MoM||NASA’s Maven|
|Mars Orbitor Mission||Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution Mission (MAVEN)|
|launch vehicle=PSLV||Atlas V rockets. (more powerful than PSLV)|
|launched on 5th Nov 2013||18th Nov 2013|
|reached Mars on 24th Sep 2014||Reached Mars on 21st Sep 2014.|
|launched from Sriharikota, Andhra||launched from Cape Canaveral in Florida, US.|
|Rs.450 crore||$671 million|
|Doing three studies:|
|has five instruments/payloads||has eight instrument- spectrograph, magnetometer, ion analyzer etc.|
|–||The spacecraft may also provide communications relay support for future Mars landers and rovers.|
IAS Exam Quiz
Useful Links for IAS Aspirants
ENROLL FOR CIVIL SERVICES PREPARATION PACKAGES AND TESTS DESIGNED BY PREVIOUS YEAR TOPPERS ONLY FOR RS 499