IAS Exam Preparation of Environment via Infographics
You will be tested by UPSC on Questions relating to Environment. Bio Fertlizers and Green Manure are important topics from examination point of view.
Environmental Studies for IAS Exam Preparation 2016
Topic – Bio fertilizers and Green Manure
What is a Bio Fertilizer ?
- Bio Fertilizer is a substance containing living microorganisms.
- It can be applied to seed, plant surfaces, or soil.
- Bio Fertilizer improves the supply of primary nutrients like nitrogen, Phosphorous etc. to the host plant, and thereby promotes its growth.
Important Examples of Bio Fertilizers
- blue green algae (BGA)
Advantages of Bio Fertilizers
- Bio Fertilizer increases crop yield by 20-30%,
- replaces chemical nitrogen and phosphorus by 25%, and stimulates plant growth.
- It provides protection against drought and certain soil-borne diseases.
Disadvantages of Bio Fertilizers
- Their effects are is slower than chemical fertilizer.
- Bio Fertilizers are sensitive to temperature and humidity changes, hence difficult to store.
- They’ve much lower nutrient density than chemical fertilizers. Farmer would need to use large quantity to get the same yield.
- Green manure is a type of cover crop, grown to add nutrients and organic matter to the soil.
- Typically, a green manure crop is grown for a specific period of time, and then ploughed under and incorporated into the soil while it is green or shortly after flowering.
- Government of India provides subsidy Subsidy on the purchased of seeds & cost on production of seeds for green manure plants.
Take the IA Quiz on Bio Fertlizers
Useful Links for Aspirants