In this article you will get SSC CGL General English Pattern. SSC CGL General English Section Syllabus. Topic Wise Preparation Tips for General English Section of SSC CGL. Study Plan for General English Section of SSC CGL.
To help you prepare the best, we have started a series of articles on SSC CGL Exam preparation. In this series we will tell you the pattern/syllabus, study plan and preparation tips of individual sections viz,
We have already discussed about Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude Section of SSC CGL
- Click here to read about How to prepare for Reasoning Section of SSC CGL
- Click here to read about How to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude Section of SSC CGL
How to prepare for General English Section of SSC CGL
Today we will take up General English Section of SSC CGL.
SSC CGL General English Section: Pattern
- No. of questions: 50
- Total marks: 50
- Marks per correct answer:1
- Negative Marking for incorrect answer: 0.25
SSC CGL General English Section Syllabus
A total of 25 questions will be asked from the following topics:
|Topic||No. of Questions|
|Fill in the blanks||5|
|Idioms and Phrases||5|
SSC CGL Books for English:
|Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis|
Plinth to Paramount) by Neetu Singh
|Objective General English by SP Bakshi|
|High School English Grammar By Wren and Martin|
SSC CGL General English: Topic Wise Preparation Tips.
1. Reading Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension questions are typically easy to moderate difficulty level.
- 20% questions in RC are from vocabulary. Read the question carefully. Sometimes you are asked to ‘select the word opposite in meaning rather than similar ‘. Make sure you don’t hastily read the question and mark the option accordingly.
- To solve questions from vocabulary, remember that you are NOT expected to know the exact meaning of this word. To answer vocabulary questions, read the passage again and question yourself ‘how is this word used in context’. Predict the meaning of the word and then see the options. Finally select the one closest in meaning to your prediction.
- Read the first and last paragraph to get the gist of the passage. This is useful when answering questions like ‘What does the author wants to convey in this article or What is the theme of this article etc.’
- It is alright to leave some questions (ones which are detailed or require you to read the entire paragraph. ) They take up precious time leaving you with no time for Quant/Reasoning.
- For detailed tips and sample questions on Reading Comprehension please click here.
2. Cloze Test / Fill in the Balnks
- The basic tip to solve Cloze test or Fill in the Blanks, read the sentence and without looking at the options, fill in the blank. Then look at the options and choose the one which matches your prediction.
- If you are not 100% sure about any option, leave it. Do not waste time on that question.
- Even if you attempt 80% questions, you are good to go.
- Click here to read tips and sample questions on Cloze Test.
3. Grammar Questions (Error Spotting and Fill in the blanks)
- Many people complain about their inability to solve grammar questions, due to low confidence or because their grammar is weak.
- That said, go through the error spotting questions, out of 5 there will surely be 1-2 questions which will have very obvious mistakes. Attempt those questions..
SSC CGL General English Section: Study Plan.
- To qualify in English section, keep your focus on RC, Cloze passage, parajumbles and fill in the blanks.
- While reading newspapers and magazines for preparation of GA section, pay attention to the structure of sentence, the words, tenses, verbs and other figures of speech used. This will come in handy while answering questions with 90%+ accuracy.
- No matter what you read and where you read, follow these tricks to read it quickly and improve your reading speed.
- To score well and to clear sectional cutoffs , Solve only those, of which you are 100% sure off.
- Follow a plan. You need to attempt 30-35 questions.
- If you feel that you are lagging a bit, solve grammar questions but with utmost care.
- Solving 70-80% questions with 100% accuracy is better than solving 100% questions with 70-80% accuracy.
- Give 1 hour daily for General English preparation.
- For preparation of grammar refer to books of S P Bakshi or A P Bhardwaj.
- Start giving Mock Tests. Identify topics you are weak in and again attempt those topics.
Friends this is it for General English Section of SSC CGL.
Please let us know about any questions, passages or doubts which are hampering your English preparation in the comments section below and we will be glad to solve them for you. All the best!