With only a handful of days remaining for IBPS Clerk, we have come up with last minute tips and tricks to crack English Section of IBPS Clerk Prelims 2015.
Pattern of English Section IBPS Clerk Prelims 2015
|Topic||No. of questions|
|Sentence Rearrangement(Para jumbles)||5|
|Fill in the blanks||5|
Topic Wise Preparation Tips for English Section IBPS Clerk Prelims 2015
1. Reading Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension questions are typically easy to moderate difficulty level.
- 20% questions in RC are from vocabulary. Read the question carefully. Sometimes you are asked to ‘select the word opposite in meaning rather than similar ‘. Make sure you don’t hastily read the question and mark the option accordingly.
- To solve questions from vocabulary, remember that you are NOT expected to know the exact meaning of this word. To answer vocabulary questions, read the passage again and question yourself ‘how is this word used in context’. Predict the meaning of the word and then see the options. Finally select the one closest in meaning to your prediction.
- Read the first and last paragraph to get the gist of the passage. This is useful when answering questions like ‘What does the author wants to convey in this article or What is the theme of this article etc.’
- It is alright to leave some questions (ones which are detailed or require you to read the entire paragraph. ) They take up precious time leaving you with no time for Quant/Reasoning.
- For detailed tips and sample questions on Reading Comprehension please click here.
- This section will help you comfortably clear the sectional cutoff for english section of IBPS Clerk Prelims 2015.
2. Cloze Test
- The second topic after RC, which doesn’t requires grammar.
- This in combination with RC will make sure that you do not fall short of sectional cutoff.
- The basic tip to solve Cloze test, read the sentence and without looking at the options, fill in the blank. Then look at the options and choose the one which matches your prediction.
- If you are not 100% sure about any option, leave it. Do not waste time on that question.
- Even if you attempt 80% questions, you are good to go.
- Click here to read tips and sample questions on Cloze Test.
3. Sentence Rearrangement (Para jumbles)
- Parajumbles can be tricky.
- If you have 3-4 minutes to spend, then only attempt para jumble.
- One good thing about para jumbles is, if you get the sequence right (even after spending 5 minutes), you will get 5 questions right with 100% accuracy.
- Read the passage carefully.
- Look out for words like ‘Instead’, ‘Furthermore’ etc. Sentences starting with these words will always come in the middle. Eliminate these sentences and check the others. Basically you are looking for starting sentence.
- Generally the starting sentence gives a brief overview about the issue/problem being discussed in the passage. Look for chronological order (dates, time ).
- Once you get the starting right, the rest of the task is easy.
- For sentences with words like ‘instead’, ‘furthermore’, ‘because’, ‘hence’ etc try and find the previous sentences.
- Once you get a skeleton with starting sentence, one or two middle sentences, fill up the rest of sentences in logical manner. To know how to do this, read these tips on parajumbles.
- Please read the above tips very carefully, they will help you to solve parajumbles very easily.
- After you have finished ordering the sentences, read the entire rearranged sentence again and see if it makes sense.
4. Grammar Questions (Error Spotting and Fill in the blanks)
- Many people complain about their inability to solve grammar questions, due to low confidence or because their grammar is weak.
- If you solve the above three topics (RC, Parajumbles and Cloze test) you will easily clear sectional cutoff for english in IBPS Clerk Prelims 2015.
- Not only solving above three topics will help you will clear sectional cutoff for english but you will also score high marks (18-20) in english section without even touching grammar.
- That said, go through the error spotting questions, out of 5 there will surely be 1-2 questions which will have very obvious mistakes. Attempt those questions.
- Similarly in fill in the blanks, there are 1-2 questions which can solved without having any knowledge of grammar at all.
Tips to crack sectional cutoff for English IBPS Clerk Prelims 2015
- To score well and to clear sectional cutoffs , go for solving topics not related to grammar.
- Even in those topics, do not solve all the questions. Solve only those, of which you are 100% sure off.
- Follow a plan. You need to attempt 18-23 questions.
- If you feel that you are lagging a bit, solve grammar questions but with utmost care.
- Solving 70-80% questions with 100% accuracy is better than solving 100% questions with 70-80% accuracy.
- Not only solving more questions require more time it also effects your overall score due to negative marking.
- The expected sectional cutoff for English section of IBPS Clerk Prelims 2015 is 13-16.
Friends, this is it for Preparation of English section of IBPS Clerk Prelims.
Please let us know about any questions, passages or doubts which are hampering your English preparation in the comments section below and we will be glad to solve them for you. All the best!