14 Indians among 717 dead, over 860 injured in Hajj stampede in Saudi Arabia
• At least 717 people, including four Indians, were killed and over 860 injured in a stampede on Thursday during Hajj here, in the second worst ever tragedy to hit the annual pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.
• It took place due to a sudden surge in the number of pilgrims heading to Jamarat for symbolic stoning of the devil by throwing pebbles against three stone walls resulted in the stampede at 9 AM local time (1130 IST).
• The state-run Saudi Press Agency said the stampede occurred at the intersection of two streets leading to Jamarat, about five kilometres from Makkah.
• This is the second worst tragedy to hit the Haj after 1990 when 1,426 pilgrims were killed in a stampede inside a tunnel leading to holy sites.
Forbes India annual rich list out
• Forbes Magazine has released its India rich list on Wednesday night.
• Industrialist Mukesh Ambani continued to lead the list for ninth year straight . He has a net worth of $18.9 billion. It dipped by $4.7 billion in a year.
• Dilip Shanghvi was ranked the second richest Indian with a net worth of $18 billion. He owns Sun Pharma.
• Wipro’s Azim Premji retained his third place with $15.9 billion.
• Flipkart’s co-founders Sachin and Binni Bansals made their debut at 86th position with a net worth of $1.3 billion each.
• The combined wealth of India’s 100 richest persons remained largely unchanged at $345 billion, compared with $346 billion in 2014.
• In the top ten, Hinduja brothers were ranked 4th with $15.9 billion, followed by Pallonji Mistry at $14.7 billion, Shiv Nadar ($12. 9 billion), Godrej family ($11.4 billion), Lakshmi Mittal ($11.2 billion), Cyrus Poonawala ($7.9 billion) and Kumar Mangalam Birla ($7.8 billion).
Modi in New York Day 1: PM woos Fortune 500 CEOs with promise of reforms
• On the Day 1, he met CEOs of 47 Fortune 500 companies, media companies and key financial sector players and made strong pitch for making investments in India.
• Many top honchos of US business. Among the chief executives of the financial world were Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan, Steve Schwarzman of Blackstone, Charles Kaye of Warburg Pincus, Henry Kravis of KKR, Bill Ford of General Atlantic, Peter Hancock of AIG Insurance, Chase Coleman of Tiger Global and Vicki Fuller of NY State Common Retirement Fund.
• The prime minister later met US-India Business Council chair Ajay Banga, industrialist and former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, Lockheed Martin chief Marillyn A. Hewson and Aecom chief executive Mike Burke.
• For the Prime Minister, it was all about attracting capital and investment. At the meeting with 47 CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, Modi assured continuity in economic reforms while pitching for more foreign investments into India.
• Media Mogul Rupert Murdoch tweeted the following after meeting with the PM
” Great hour with Indian PM Modi. Best leader with best policies since independence, but massive task to achieve in most complex nation. “
Gold tops Rs 27,000, surges Rs 400 to hit 1-month high
• Continuing its rising streak for the third straight day, gold today reclaimed Rs 27,000-mark by zooming Rs 400 to hit 1-month high of Rs 27,250 per 10 grams at the bullion market, tracking a firming trend overseas amid pick-up in jewellers’ buying to meet rising wedding demand.
• Silver also retook the Rs 36,000-level by surging Rs 1,100 to Rs 36,500 per kg on increased offtake by industrial units and coin makers.
• Bullion traders said besides a firming global trend where gold soared to one-month high, continued buying by jewellers and retailers to meet wedding season demand largely influenced the precious metal prices.
• Globally, gold climbed 2.11 per cent to USD 1,154.10 an ounce, its highest level since August 24, and silver 2.43 per cent to USD 15.15 an ounce in New York in yesterday’s trade.
• Fresh weakness in the rupee against the dollar, making imports costlier, too supported the upside.
• In the national capital, gold of 99.9 per cent and 99.5 per cent purity climbed Rs 400 each to Rs 27,250 and Rs 27,100 per 10 grams, respectively, a level last seen on August 25. The precious metals had gained Rs 340 in the past two days.
• Silver coins spurted Rs 1,000 to Rs 53,000 for buying and Rs 54,000 for selling of 100 pieces.
GK QUESTIONS OF THE DAY
1. World Maritime day is observed on:
- 24th September
- 23rd June
- 1st January
- 31st July
Answer: 24th September
2. Who is Union Health Minister
- Varun Gandhi
- Rajnath Singh
- Shashi Sinha
- J P Nadda
Answer: J P Nadda
3. What is the full form of NCC?
- National Cadet Company
- National Commerce Committee
- National Cadet Corps
- National Commission against Corruption
Answer: National Cadet Corps
4. Who is the new president of Cricket Association of Bengal.
- Avishek Dalmia
- Sourav Ganguly
- Kapil Dev
- Subrato Chakrobaty
Answer: Sourav Ganguly
Share these GK NEWS and QUESTIONS with everyone you know. Please comment below for more GK NEWS.