US New Horizons spacecraft reaches Pluto after 9-year voyage
- After a nine-year, 5bn km journey from Earth, the $700m Nasa probe made its closest approach to Pluto at 11.50am GMT.
- It was then 12,500km above the surface of the solar system’s outermost classical planet.
Maoists kill four cops in Chhattisgarh
- The policemen were abducted on Monday afternoon by the rebels.
- The bodies of the four SPO-turned-auxiliary constables were found today morning near Kutru in Bijapur district
India clears defence deals worth Rs30,000 crore
- India cleared the purchase of close to Rs.30,000 crore ($4.74 billion) worth of new defence equipment including four maritime spy planes from Boeing Co. and hundreds of air defence guns.
- The largest order approved was for 428 L-70 and ZU23 air defence guns worth around Rs.16,900 crore.
Nepal to train 50,000 workers for reconstruction
- The government will spend $910 million this year to rebuild infrastructure, public buildings, monuments, and private homes destroyed by the earthquakes.
Champions League T20 scrapped with immediate effect
- The Governing Council of the Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20) has confirmed that the CLT20 competition will be discontinued with immediate effect.
- As such the 2015 CLT20 scheduled for September and October will not go ahead as planned