Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams.
Daily Current Affairs Digest- May 31st, 2017
||India inks seven agreements with Spain
||Scientists at IIT Kharagpur Develop New Technology to Manufacture Biofuel
||World No Tobacco Day observed on May 31
||New species of ‘see-through’ frog discovered
||US for the First Time Successfully Tests ICBM Defence System
India inks seven agreements with Spain
- The two sides signed agreements on transfer of sentenced persons and visa waiver for holders of diplomatic passports.
- Spain is India’s seventh largest trading partner in the European Union
- Five MoUs were signed between the two countries on cooperation in organ transplantation, cyber security, renewable energy, civil aviation and one between India’s Foreign Service Institute and Diplomatic Academy of Spain.
New Technology to Manufacture Biofuel developed by Scientists at IIT Kharagpur
- Scientists at IIT Kharagpur has come up with a new technology known as ‘soil-to-soil’ manufacturing technology for manufacturing cheaper, quicker and pollution-free. The technology is in the process of being patented.
- Biofuels are fuels which are in some way derived from biomass. The term covers solid biomass, liquid fuels and various biogases and also denotes Biodiesel, Bio alcohol and bio-gasoline.
- The National Policy on Biofuels had set the target at 20% blending of biofuel with petrol by 2017. It is estimated that the biofuel business in India will touch Rs50,000 crore by 2022. A
World No Tobacco Day observed on May 31
- World No-Tobacco Day (WNTD) was observed across the world on 31 May.
- This day highlights the health risks associated with consumption all forms of tobacco and advocates for effective policies to reduce tobacco consumption.
- Tobacco kills 7 million people every year this it has emerged as world’s single biggest cause of preventable death.
Amul Signs MoU with ISRO
- Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) which markets its product under the brand name ‘Amul’ has signed an MoU with ISRO for fodder acreage assessment using satellite observation and space technology.
- As per the MoU signed, ISRO would help in identification between food and fodder crops at the village level.
- The significance of the agreement lies in the fact that the fodder acreage estimation can help in monitoring and planning of fodder development activities by the stakeholders in the dairy sector.
US for the First Time Successfully Tests ICBM Defence System
- United States for the first time has successfully tested its defence system against an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
- The test comes at the backdrop of US’s increased tensions with North Korea.
- The GMD uses globally deployed sensors to detect and track ballistic missile threats.
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Digest for all days in May