Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams.
Daily Current Affairs Digest- April 18th, 2017
||Indian-American student wins National Geographic Bee contest
||General Motors to stop selling cars in India, but to keep manufacturing centre
||Indian scientist Shrinivas Kulkarni wins Dan David Prize
||PM Modi-led Cabinet approves pharma mission to develop bio pharmaceuticals
||Tata Group is India’s most valuable brand: Brand Finance.
Indian-American student wins National Geographic Bee contest
- Pranay Varada won the prestigious $50,000 National Geographic Bee competition.
- He is an eighth grader from Texas, was a runner up last year.
- He was declared the winner as he won the first tie breaker question
General Motors to stop selling cars in India, but to keep manufacturing centre
- General Motors Co will stop selling cars in India from the end of this year, drawing a line under two decades of battling in one of the world’s most competitive markets where it has less than a one percent share of passenger car sales.
- Chevrolet is the only GM brand which is sold in India.GM will continue to operate Talegaon factory as export-only unit
- It will also keep its tech centre in Bengaluru. Decision is a part of a series of restructuring measures
Indian scientist Shrinivas Kulkarni wins Dan David Prize
- Indian scientist Shrinivas Kulkarni has won the prestigious Dan David prize as recognition for his contributions made in the field of astronomy.
- He has been credited for building and conducting the Palomar Transient Factory, which is a large-area survey of the night sky that has turned up with thousands of stellar explosions.
- The Dan David Foundation was established in 2000 by the late Dan David, an international businessman and philanthropist.
PM Modi-led Cabinet approves pharma mission to develop bio pharmaceuticals
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved a collaborative mission between industry and academia called ‘Innovate in India empowering biotech entrepreneurs and accelerating inclusive innovation‘ that is aimed at accelerating research for early development of bio-pharmaceuticals.
- The mission would attract an investment of Rs 1,500 crore from the central government over a period of five years. Half of the funding would be funded through a loan from World Bank.
Tata Group is India’s most valuable brand: Brand Finance
- Tata Group is the most valuable brand in India at an estimated $13.1 billion, according to Brand Finance, a global brand valuation and strategy consultancy firm.
- Tata topped the list of India’s 100 most valuable brands once again despite its value declining 4% from $13.7 billion in 2016. However, the decline is less than 11% between 2015 and 2016..
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Quiz