Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams.
Daily Current Affairs Digest- April 12th, 2017
||NASA detects Signs of Water in a distant Neptune Sized Planet
||Justice Mudgal elected as Chairman of FIFA Governance Committee
||CASO’ to be reintroduced as Part of Counter Terrorism Operations
||Vinay Mohan Kwatra Appointed as Ambassador to France
||India’s Spyder missile test a hit
NASA detects Signs of Water in a distant Neptune Sized Planet
- Scientists have detected “a strong water signature” in the atmosphere of a distant Neptune-sized planet called HAT-P-26b.
- The study conducted using NASA’s Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes has showed that HAT-P-26b has a primitive atmosphere composed almost entirely of hydrogen and helium..
- This study is one of the most detailed studies till date conducted in a planet that is roughly the size of the Neptune and close to its star.
Justice Mudgal elected as Chairman of FIFA Governance Committee
- Retired judge of Delhi High Court Justice Mukul Mudgal has been elected as the Chairman of FIFA Governance committee at the FIFA’s 67th Congress held in Bahrain’s capital city of Manama.
- Justice Mudgal was proposed for the vacant position by the FIFA Council after former chief Miguel Maduro was removed for his role in allegedly blocking Russian World Cup official Vitaly Mutko from retaining his seat on ruling council. Justice Mudgal will have a term of office of four years which would come into effect immediately.
- Olli Rehn of Finland has been elected as Justice Mudgal’s deputy. Olli Rehn is the former Vice-President of the European Commission.
‘CASO’ to be reintroduced as Part of Counter Terrorism Operations
- Indian Army has planned to re-introduce cordon and search operations (CASO) as a part of its counter terrorism operations after a gap of 15 years.
- The major objective behind the reintroduction of combing operations is to bring the situation in the Kashmir Valley under control.
- Hereafterwards, Army will carry out CASO in a major way to flush out militants in the militancy-hit areas of Kulgam, Pulwama, Tral, Budgam and Shopian in south Kashmir, indicating a change in strategy.
Vinay Mohan Kwatra Appointed as Ambassador to France
- Diplomat Vinay Mohan Kwatra has been appointed as India’s next ambassador to France.
- He is currently serving as joint secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO). Kwatra will succeed Mohan Kumar who is due to retire soon..
India’s Spyder missile test a hit
- India on Thursday successfully tested an Israeli air defence system from a test facility off Odisha coast, paving the way for its early deployment in the armed forces.
- The Surface-to-air Python and Derby (Spyder) missile system was test fired from the launching complex-III of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-sea against a UK-made unmanned aerial target
- cquired from Israel, Spyder is basically a short-range air-to-air defence system and is modified to be used as surface-to-air system. It is designed to strike an enemy aerial threat within a short time.
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Quiz