Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams has been compiled by us. General knowledge and general awareness is an important component of almost all competitive exams. You can score more in the general awareness section by going through our daily current affairs digest. If at all you lose marks in other sections of Banking, Staff Selection Commission and UPSC Exams compensate them in general awareness section. We are hopeful that our daily current affairs digest helps you in scoring well.
Daily Current Affairs Digest – June 9th 2017
||Preet Kaur Gill first Female Sikh to be elcted to the British Parliament’s house of common
||‘Selfie with Daughter’ Mobile App launched by the President of India
||India and UNOSSC launch Partnership Fund to Promote Sustainable Development
||Indian scholar Sahithi Pingali to get Planet Named after Her
||Petrol and Diesel Prices to be revised Daily from June 16
Preet Kaur Gill first Female Sikh to be elected to the British Parliament’s house of common
- In a first Preet Kaur Gill has become the first Sikh to be elected to the British Parliament’s House of Commons.
- Similarly, Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi has become the first turban-wearing Sikh to be elected to the House of Commons.
- The victories of Preet kaur Gill and Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi is considered as a significant milestone for Sikh politicians in United Kingdom in this election. Dhesi and Gill are from the opposition Labour party.
‘Selfie with Daughter’ Mobile App launched by the President of India
- The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee has launched a mobile Application ‘Selfie with Daughter’ at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The App is aimed at raising awareness among people about female foeticide and sex selection.
- The ‘Selfie with Daughter’ campaign was started in village Bibipur, Jind, Haryana by a former Sarpanch Sunil Jaglan in June 2015.
India and UNOSSC launch Partnership Fund to Promote Sustainable Development
- India and the UN Office for South-South Cooperation have launched a partnership fund to promote sustainable development projects across the developing world.
- The India-UN Development Partnership Fund was launched on occasion of the World Oceans Day at a special ceremony held at the Permanent Mission of India to the UN.
- The India-UN Development Partnership Fund will be utilized to carry out country-level projects that would be catalytic towards achieving the 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) of the 2030 Agenda.
Indian scholar Sahithi Pingali to get Planet Named after Her
- Sahithi Pingali, a twelfth grader from Bengaluru will get a minor planet in Milky Way named after her as a reward for developing an integrated mobile phone app and lake monitoring kit to monitor pollution in water bodies.
- Sahithi Pingali had presented her paper titled “An Innovative Crowdsourcing Approach to Monitoring Freshwater Bodies” at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF).
- ntel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) is considered as the largest pre-college scientific research event in the world.
Petrol and Diesel Prices to be revised Daily from June 16
- State-run oil marketing companies such as Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (HPCL) and Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) will revise the prices of petrol and diesel daily from June 16 throughout the country.
- The move is aimed at countering the practice of undercutting by private retailers as well as to bring India at par with the US oil market.
- Daily revision of prices will insulate the retailers from volatility of global crude prices. Daily revision of prices will result in small hikes rather than a steep rise which often attracts customer ire.
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Digest for 2017