Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams has been compiled by us. General knowledge and general awareness is an important component of almost all competitive exams. You can score more in the general awareness section by going through our daily current affairs digest. If at all you lose marks in other sections of Banking, Staff Selection Commission and UPSC Exams compensate them in general awareness section. We are hopeful that our daily current affairs digest helps you in scoring well.
Daily Current Affairs Digest – June 8th 2017
||Union Health Minister Conferred WHO Director-General’s Special Recognition Award for Global Tobacco Control
||One Million Dollar Fund Established for BRICS Media
||Lt Col Raja “Grinder” Chari an Indo- American among 12 new Astronauts Selected by NASA
||India among Top FDI Destinations
||India One of Top 5 Consumer Markets in Asia
J P Nadda honoured with WHO Director-General’s Special Recognition Award for Global Tobacco Control
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda has been conferred the WHO Director-General’s Special Recognition Award for global tobacco control.
- The award was presented to him by Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh, Regional Director, WHO South-East Asia at the ‘National Consultation on Accelerating Implementation of WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) for achievement of SDGs’.
- India is the second largest tobacco consuming country in the world with 27 crore users.
One Million Dollar Fund Established for BRICS Media
- The Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa (BRICS) grouping has established a one million dollar fund for boosting media cooperation in the five-nation grouping.
- During the inaugural session of the BRICS Media Forum held in Beijing, Xinhua News Agency and executive president of the Forum had announced that the Xinhua news agency will invest one million U.S. dollars for bolstering BRICS media.
- The BRICS media forum is a joint initiative of Xinhua News Agency, Brazil’s CMA Group, Russia’s Sputnik News Agency and Radio, The Hindu group of publications from India, and South Africa’s Independent Media.
Lt Col Raja “Grinder” Chari an Indo- American among 12 new Astronauts Selected by NASA
- NASA has selected 12 new astronauts including an Indian-American, Lt Col Raja “Grinder” Chari, from 18000 applications, Lt Col Raja Grinder Chari, 39, is a commander of the 461st Flight Test Squadron as well as the director of the F-35 Integrated Test Force at Edwards Air Force Base in California.
- NASA has selected seven men and five women who will comprise the 22nd class of American spaceflight trainees since 1959. This is the largest group of astronauts NASA has selected in almost two decades.
- Astronauts after the two year training will be assigned various roles like performing research on the International Space Station (ISS) and flying on deep space missions.
India among Top FDI Destinations
- According to UNCTAD’s World Investment Report 2017, India continues to remain as a favourite destination for FDI even though tax related concerns remain as a deterrent for the foreign investors.
- For the first time, China has emerged as the world’s second largest investor of FDI.
- The World Investment Report has been published by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) annually since 1991. The report focuses on trends in foreign direct investment (FDI) worldwide, at the regional and country levels. United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) was established in 1964.
India One of Top 5 Consumer Markets in Asia
- According to BMI Research, a Fitch group company, India is among the top five consumer markets in Asia offering retailers the strongest consumer spending growth of an average of 6.1% over the next five years
- The other four countries are China, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Indonesia.
- BMI Research was founded in 1984 Business Monitor International and later in 2014 was acquired by Fitch Group. The firm performs industry and financial market analysis in 24 industries and 200 global markets.
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Digest for 2017