Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams has been compiled by us. General knowledge and general awareness is an important component of almost all competitive exams. You can score more in the general awareness section by going through our daily current affairs digest. If at all you lose marks in other sections of Banking, Staff Selection Commission and UPSC Exams compensate them in general awareness section. We are hopeful that our daily current affairs digest helps you in scoring well.
Daily Current Affairs Digest – June 23rd
||India to leave behind China in terms of population by 2024
||China launches Research Project to Compile Data on Disputed Region
||UN Appoints Russian Diplomat Vladimir Voronkov as Chief of newly established United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre
||India and Russia Celebrates a decade of Partnership in Science and Technology
||Railways to launch Operation Swarn to revamp Rajdhani, Shatabdi Trains
India to leave behind China in terms of population by 2024
- According to the World population Prospectus: The Revision released by the United Nations, India with 1.3 billion inhabitants would surpass China’s population of 1.4 billion by 2024, to become the World’s populous country.
- Despite the drop in universal fertility rates, the UN report expects the world’s total population to hit 9.8 billion by 2050.
- The 2017 Revision of World Population Prospects is the twenty-fifth round of official United Nations population estimates prepared by the Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat.
China launches Research Project to Compile Data on Disputed Region
- China has launched a research project aimed at compiling historical data obtained during earlier expeditions conducted by its teams to the disputed South China Sea since the late 1950s.
- The research project is one among the 14 resource investigation programmes approved by China’s Ministry of Science and Technology.
- China has been aggressively claiming the entire South China Sea as its own. The other countries that claim the various territories in the South China Sea are Taiwan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei.
UN Appoints Russian Diplomat Vladimir Voronkov as Chief of newly established United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre
- The UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has appointed Russian diplomat Vladimir Voronkov to head the newly established UN Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT), despite growing tensions between the US and Russia.
- The Vladimir Voronkov has been given the rank of Under-Secretary-General. The new Under-Secretary-General would Chair the Task Force and Executive Director of the UN Counter-Terrorism Centre.
- The newly established UNCCT has been mandated to oversee the counterterrorism efforts of 36 UN-funded programmes under the ambit of a variety of UN agencies, 12 inter-agency working groups, Interpol, and the World Customs Organisation.
India and Russia Celebrates a decade of Partnership in Science and Technology
- This year, India and Russia are celebrating 70 years of establishment of diplomatic relations between them.
- Joint cooperation in science and technology was one of the important pillars of the bilateral relationship between both the countries.
- To expand the joint cooperation, India’s Department of Science and Technology and Russian scientists held discussions to enhance their cooperation in the fields of big data and cyber physical systems
Railways to launch Operation Swarn to revamp Rajdhani, Shatabdi Trains
- Concerned over the complaints received from the public over the premium trains of Indian Railways like Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express, Railways have decided to launch “Operation Swarn (‘gold’)“.
- Under the operation, in the first phase, Mumbai-Delhi Rajdhani Express and Mumbai-Ahmadabad Shatabdi Express will be upgraded. More trains will be identified for up gradation in a phased manner
- Under the initiative, Indian Railways will work towards improving 10 aspects, namely, punctuality, cleanliness, linen, coach interiors, toilets, catering, staff behaviour, security, entertainment, housekeeping and regular feedback.Under the operation, a sum of Rs 50 lakh would be allotted to Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains on various routes for the purpose of revamping.
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Digest for 2017