Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams has been compiled by us. General knowledge and general awareness is an important component of almost all competitive exams. You can score more in the general awareness section by going through our daily current affairs digest. If at all you lose marks in other sections of Banking, Staff Selection Commission and UPSC Exams compensate them in general awareness section. We are hopeful that our daily current affairs digest helps you in scoring well.
Daily Current Affairs Digest – June 21st
||Larsoun and Turbo launches first Indigenously built Floating Dock
||ISRO to launch Earth Observation Satellite
||NASA tests ROSA on Space Station for First Time
||International Yoga Day observed
||China inaugurates World’s First Train that runs on Virtual Tracks
Larsoun and Turbo launches first Indigenously built Floating Dock
- Larsen & Toubro has launched the first indigenously built Floating Dock (FDN-2) to repair Indian Navy ships at its Shipyard at Kattupalli, north of Chennai.
- The floating shipyard would be handed over to the Indian Navy after conducting three to four months of trial.
- FDN-2 is the first Naval shipbuilding project for L&T. L&T has been undertaking repairs and refits of Naval and Coast Guard ships. It has delivered six ship refits including the largest Logistics Tanker ship INS Jyoti. L&T has so far invested around Rs 5,000 crore in the Kattupalli Shipyard.
ISRO to launch Earth Observation Satellite
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is all set to launch earth observation satellite Cartosat-2 series weighing 712 kg and 30 nano-satellites using Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- Out of the 30 nano-satellites, 29 will be of foreign origin and one will be of India’s.
- The 29 nano-satellites will be from 14 countries such as Austria, Belgium, Britain, Chile, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, and the US.
NASA tests ROSA on Space Station for First Time
- NASA is testing the effectiveness of a flexible solar array, the Roll-Out Solar Array, or ROSA, on space station for the very first time.
- ROSA is expected to one day power satellites and spacecraft. NASA had earlier tested the ROSA technology in vacuum chambers on the Earth but this is the first time it is testing the technology in space.
- ROSA is an advanced, flexible solar array that rolls out like a tape measure.
International Yoga Day observed
- June 21st is annually celebrated as International Yoga Day since the year 2015. This year, the 3rd International Day of Yoga is being observed.
- The purpose of the yoga day is to promote yoga and make it as a part of people’s daily routine.
- The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated a mass yoga demonstration to commemorate the 3rd International Day of Yoga at Rashtrapati Bhavan. According to UN, this year Yoga Day’s theme is “Yoga for Health“. The theme has been chosen to highlight the fact that yoga can contribute in a holistic way to achieving an equilibrium between mind and body.
China inaugurates World’s First Train that runs on Virtual Tracks
- China has unveiled world’s first train that runs on a virtual track making use of sensor technology instead of metal rails.
- The new trains are non-polluting as they are battery powered.
- The train is capable of reaching a top speed of 70 kmph and can travel a distance of 25 km by just charging for 10 minutes.
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Digest for 2017