Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams has been compiled by us. General knowledge and general awareness is an important component of almost all competitive exams. You can score more in the general awareness section by going through our daily current affairs digest. If at all you lose marks in other sections of Banking, Staff Selection Commission and UPSC Exams compensate them in general awareness section. We are hopeful that our daily current affairs digest helps you in scoring well.
Daily Current Affairs Digest – June 19th
||Know India Programe launched for Young Overseas Indians
||India-Afghanistan soon to open there first Air freight Corridor
||World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought observed on June 17
||K Srikanth bags the Indonesian Open Super Series Badminton Tournament
||NASA’s Orion Spacecraft Clears Safety Tests
Know India Programe launched for Young Overseas Indians
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has inaugurated Know India Programme (KIP) for NRI and PIO youth with a view to provide them with an exposure to the country of their origin so that they can understand India better and more closely
- A portal for the same has also been launched.
- The Know India Programme is a three-week orientation programme which is aimed at promoting awareness on different facets of life in India as well as the progress made by the country in fields such as economic and education.
India-Afghanistan soon to open there first Air freight Corridor
- India and Afghanistan are set to operationalize their first air-freight corridor in the coming days
- This development has assumed significance at the backdrop of Pakistan’s denial to use its land for trade between India and Afghanistan. The air freight corridor will be used by the private sector in Afghanistan to increase its exports to the vast Indian market by air with minimum costs. It will also enable the traders to circumvent the obstacles posed by Pakistan in the land route.
- The key elements of India’s Afghanistan policy include – friendly relations with afghan factions, tacit support for anti-Taliban forces, more focus on economic engagement than military engagement, humanitarian and development assistance etc.
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought observed on June 17
- The World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is observed every year on June 17 to promote public awareness to combat desertification.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) had designated June 17 as the World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought in 1994. It was observed for the first time in 1995.
- This year’s theme for World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is “Our Land. Our Home. Our Future“. This edition will examine the link between land degradation and migration.
K Srikanth bags the Indonesian Open Super Series Badminton Tournament
- India’s Kidambi Srikanth has lifted the Indonesia Open Super Series badminton title at Jakarta by defeating Japan’s Kazumasa Sakai in straight sets 21-11, 21-19.
- For Srikanth who is currently World No. 22 this is a big title win. It is Srikanth’s third Super Series title after 2014 China Open and 2015 India Open. Indonesian Open Super Series is an annual badminton tournament organised by Persatuan Bulutangkis Seluruh Indonesia (PBSI).
- The tournament was first conducted in 1982. It has become part of the BWF Superseries in 2007 and earned the Superseries Premier Status in 2011.
NASA’s Orion Spacecraft Clears Safety Tests
- NASA’s Orion Spacecraft which has been designed to carry astronauts to deep space destinations like Moon and Mars has successfully carried out a series of tests to test its critical safety systems.
- NASA test fired Orion’s launch abort system by firing the 17-foot tall motor for five seconds. The test was successful as the motor produced enough thrust and thus qualifying for future missions with astronauts.
- The Orion Multi-purpose Crew Vehicle was announced to be built by NASA on May 24, 2011. The new spacecraft is currently under development. NASA has named the Orion spacecraft after the largest constellation in the night sky.
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Digest for 2017