Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams has been compiled by us. General knowledge and general awareness is an important component of almost all competitive exams. You can score more in the general awareness section by going through our daily current affairs digest. If at all you lose marks in other sections of Banking, Staff Selection Commission and UPSC Exams compensate them in general awareness section. We are hopeful that our daily current affairs digest helps you in scoring well.
Daily Current Affairs Digest – June 16th 2017
||May 2017 is the second hottest month in 137 years according to NASA
||India again elected to ECOSOC
||India ranks 60th in the Global Innovation Index 2017
||Virat Kohli Creates Record by becoming Fastest Batsman to Score 8000 runs in ODIs
||Justice PN Bhagwati, a Pioneer of Judicial Activism Passes Away
May 2017 is the second hottest month in 137 years according to NASA
- According to NASA, May 2017 was the second hottest month in a span of 137 years when modern record-keeping of average global temperatures had commenced.
- The temperature of May 2017 was 0.88 degrees Celsius warmer than the mean May temperature from 1951-1980.
- May 2016 is the hottest on record with 0.93 degrees Celsius warmer than the May mean temperature.
India again elected to ECOSOC
- India has won its re-election to the UN’s principal organ on economic, social and environmental issues for another three-year term. India was one among the 18 nations to win election to the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
- India has obtained 183 votes which is the second highest after Japan in the Asia-Pacific category. Pakistan whose term is also expiring also sought for re-election but lost and got only one vote.
- The Economic and Social Council is the ‘United Nations’ central platform for reflection, debate, and innovative thinking on sustainable development.’
India ranks 60th in the Global Innovation Index 2017
- In the Global Innovation Index 2017, co-authored by Cornell University, INSEAD and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), India has moved up 6 places to reach 60th place among 130 countries emerging as the top-ranked economy in Central and South Asia.
- Top 10 most Innovative countries: Switzerland, Sweden, the Netherlands, the US, the UK, Denmark, Singapore, Finland, Germany and Ireland. Switzerland leads the rankings for the 7th consecutive year
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) is the global body for promotion and protection of intellectual property rights (IPR), headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
Virat Kohli Creates Record by becoming Fastest Batsman to Score 8000 runs in ODIs
- India’s Skipper Virat Kohli has created a record by becoming the quickest batsman to score 8000 runs in one-day international cricket beating South Africa’s AB de Villier’s record by seven fewer innings.
- Virat Kohli has managed to cross the 8000 run mark in his 175th innings during India’s match against Bangladesh in ICC Champion’s Trophy semi-final in Birmingham.
- Top 5 fastest 8000 run scorers in ODIs: Virat Kohli (175 innings), AB de Villiers (182 innings), Sourav Ganguly (200 innings), Sachin Tendulkar (210 innings), Brian Lara (211 innings).
Justice PN Bhagwati, a Pioneer of Judicial Activism Passes Away
- Former Chief Justice of India Prafullachandra Natwarlal Bhagwati who is considered as a pioneer of Judicial Activism has passed away. Justice Bhagwati was 95 years old.
- Justice Bhagwati introduced the concepts of Public Interest Litigation (PIL) and absolute liability to the Indian judicial system.
- One of the important judgments passed by him was in the Maneka Gandhi passport impounding case of 1978. In this case, he ruled that a person had full right to hold a passport and his/her movement cannot be restricted.
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Digest for 2017