Daily Current Affairs Digest for helping you crack the general awareness section of competitive exams has been compiled by us. General knowledge and general awareness is an important component of almost all competitive exams. You can score more in the general awareness section by going through our daily current affairs digest. If at all you lose marks in other sections of Banking, Staff Selection Commission and UPSC Exams compensate them in general awareness section. We are hopeful that our daily current affairs digest helps you in scoring well.
Daily Current Affairs Digest – June 15th 2017
||China launches its First X-ray Space Telescope
||Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi honoured with Bhupen Hazarika Award 2017
||India is Top Remittance Receiving Country
||India Antitrust Watchdog Imposes $13.6 Million Fine on Hyundai Motor’s Local Unit
||India-South Korea sign Agreements to Push Infrastructure Development and Bilateral Trade
China launches its First X-ray Space Telescope
- China has launched its first X-ray space telescope to study black holes, pulsars and gamma-ray bursts.
- The telescope weighing 2.5 tonne was sent to the space using China’s Long March-4B rocket. The satellite was launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center.
- The Hard X-ray Modulation Telescope (HXMT), named Insight, will allow scientists from China to observe magnetic fields and the interiors of pulsars and understand the evolution of black holes.
Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi honoured with Bhupen Hazarika Award 2017
- The Bhupen Hazarika National Award, 2017 has been conferred upon the noted writer Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi. This is the fifth edition of the award which was first conferred in 2012.
- The award has been instituted by Sarhad, a Maharashtra-based organisation. The award honours an outstanding literary work at national and international level. The award consists of 51,000 rupees, a memento and a certificate.
- His famous novel includes Mauna Onth Mukhar Hriday (Silent lips, murmuring hearts) which won the Sahitya Akademi award in 2005.
India is Top Remittance Receiving Country
- According to the ‘One Family at a Time’ study conducted by the UN International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Indians working across the world had sent home USD 62.7 billion in 2016 making India the top remittance-receiving country surpassing China.
- Top Remittance Receiving Countries: India (USD 62.7 billion), China (USD 61 billion), the Philippines (USD 30 billion) and Pakistan (USD 20 billion).
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) was set up in 1977 as the 13th specialised agency of the United Nations. India is a founder member of IFAD and a key contributor among the member countries.
India Antitrust Watchdog Imposes $13.6 Million Fine on Hyundai Motor’s Local Unit
- India’s antitrust watchdog on Wednesday imposed a fine of 870 million rupees ($13.6 million) on South Korean automaker Hyundai Motor Co’s local unit, accusing the company of anti-competitive behaviour.
- The Competition Commission of India in its order alleged that Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL) contravened competitive practices by imposing certain arrangements upon its dealers including monitoring the maximum permissible discount level and mandating the use of recommended lubricants and oils.
- The penalty has been levied at 0.3 percent of Hyundai Motor India’s average relevant turnover of the preceding three years, the anti-competition watchdog said.
India-South Korea sign Agreements to Push Infrastructure Development and Bilateral Trade
- India and South Korea has signed an agreement for $10 billion assistance for infrastructure development projects in India,
- It includes $9 billion in concessional credit and $1 billion in Official development assistance (ODA). Part of this fund will be utilised towards Smart City projects in India. With this agreement, South Korea has become one of the first non-G-7 countries to become an ODA contributor in India.
- The agreements were signed during the four-day official visit of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to South Korea to attend the fifth India-Korea Financial Dialogue.
The above daily current affairs digest has been compiled by Sagrika Mehta
Daily Current Affairs Digest for 2017