Three militants, civilian killed during attack at defence camp in Kupwara
- Three militants and a civilian were killed in an operation in Tanghdar sector that was launched on Wednesday morning when a group of militants tried to sneak into an army camp near the Line of Control.
- The militants attacked from the rear side of the camp at 6.15 AM, which resulted in few vehicles catching fire, defence sources said.
- “There was a stand off fire from Kalsuri Ridge (in Tangdhar sector) towards an army camp this morning,” the official said.
- After about seven hours of intense gunbattle, Army said all the three militants involved in the attack were killed. One civilian also lost his life in the incident, Army said.
Student loans dry up as bad debts climb at banks
- An increase in non-performing assets have led several public sector banks to go slow on educational loans, latest data complied by the Finance Ministry shows.
- “Banks have achieved 50 per cent of the disbursal targets of the year 2015-16 up to 30 September,’’ according to a note circulated among chief executives of the public sector banks before Finance Minister Arun Jaitley met the bankers on Monday. “`
- However, banks namely the Corporation Bank, Dena Bank, IOB , UCO Bank, SBI, State Bank of Patiala, State Bank of Hyderabad and the State Bank of Travancore have not achieved proportionate targets,” the note said.
- Banks were given a target of 20 per cent growth in disbursement and 15 per cent growth in accounts for the current financial year.
RBI defers gold bond issue date to 30 Nov as applications pile up
- In view of large number of applications, the Reserve Bank today shifted the issue date of Sovereign Gold Bond by four days to November 30 to enable their smooth uploading into RBI’s e-Kuber system.
- “Large number of applications has been received by banks and post offices. To enable smooth uploading of applications into RBI’s e-Kuber system, particularly by the post offices, it has since been decided to shift the issue date of the Sovereign Gold Bond from November 26, 2015 to November 30, 2015,” the central bank said in a statement.