Seven killed as helicopter carrying Vaishno Devi pilgrims crashes in Katra
- Seven people were killed on Monday when a helicopter carrying Vaishno Devi pilgrims crashed near Katra in Jammu region, police said.
- According to India Today, the helicopter was hit was a bird after which the helicopter caught fire.
Financial transaction motive behind Sheena Bora’s murder, CBI tells court; Peter Mukerjea’s custody extended
- The CBI also told the court that Peter Mukerjea had disclosed during questioning investments made by him and wife Indrani in UK and India but not source of money.
- On the other hand, Mumbai court extended till November 26 CBI custody of Peter in the murder case.
- The CBI had sought an additional ten days remand for former Star TV CEO, who has been charged with murder and criminal conspiracy in connection with the Sheena murder case.
- Previously, the CBI had said that while it had earlier booked Peter Mukerjea under several sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), he had also been additionally charged under Sections 302 and 364, and would be prosecuted accordingly.
Rickshaw-pullers, hawkers, made directors in Bank of Baroda scam
- 40-year-old Rasool (name changed) sells vegetables on his cart in North Delhi.
- Last year, he became the director of a company overnight without even knowing it and his remuneration was Rs 10,000 per month.
- Rasool is not the only one who became a pseudo entrepreneur but there are 59 like him, living in slums, like rickshaw pullers, vendors, drivers, household workers, who were approached by black money hoarders and made the Directors of 59 companies in the Bank of Baroda Rs 6,172 crore money laundering scandal.
- Higher retail inflation, coupled with the possibility of a U.S. Fed rate increase in December, may prompt the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan to keep the repo rate unchanged in the December policy review.
- The central bank, which reduced interest rates by 50 basis points (bps) in the October policy review, will meet again on December 1 to review its monetary policy stance.
- The central bank had reduced the benchmark interest rate by 125 bps to 6.75 per cent so far this year as inflation eased and the economic recovery stayed tentative.
- “We expect the RBI to pause in the December policy and cut 25 bps in the February policy once there is clarity that retail inflation will achieve the January 2015 mandate of 6 per cent,” said Indranil Sen Gupta, chief economist, Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
- The consumer price index-based inflation — RBI’s main gauge for measuring price rise — inched up to five per cent in October, up for the third straight month, compared with 4.41 per cent in the preceding month.
- This was mainly due to an increase in some food prices in addition to festival related activities.
RBI sets rupee reference rate at 66.34 against dollar
- The Reserve Bank of India today fixed the reference rate of the rupee at 66.3490 against the US dollar and 70.4693 for the euro.
- These rates were 66.0940 and 70.8594, respectively, as on November 20, 2015.
- According to an RBI statement, the exchange rates for the pound and the yen against the rupee were quoted at 100.66 and 53.87 per 100 yens, respectively, based on reference rates for the dollar and cross-currency quotes at noon.
- The SDR-rupee rate will be based on this rate, the statement added.