In this article
Veteran actor Saeed Jaffrey passes away at 86
- Veteran actor Saeed Jaffrey, who appeared in several Bollywood as well as British movies, passed away at the age of 86, according to International Business Times.
- Saeed Jaffrey’s niece Shaheen Aggarwal shared the news on her Facebook account.
- Saeed is known for his roles in movies like Gandhi (1982), Shatranj Ke Khiladi (1977), Henna (1991), Ram Teri Ganga Maili (1985), Dil (1990) and more. He was married to actress and travel writer Mehrunima (Madhur Jaffrey), but the parted ways in 1966.
- Jaffrey has three daughters Meera, Zia, and Sakina Jaffrey, who is also an actress.
France warplanes bombard Islamic State stronghold in Syria’s Raqqa
- French warplanes pounded the Islamic State group’s de facto capital in Syria on Sunday, in the first such strikes since a wave of coordinated attacks claimed by the jihadists left 129 people dead in Paris.
- As the nation prepared to mourn the victims of the carnage in a minute of silence on Monday, a dozen warplanes dropped 20 bombs on Islamic State targets in the Islamists’ stronghold of Raqqa, signalling the French government’s resolve in its fight against the group.
- The strike destroyed an Islamic State command post, jihadist recruitment centre, a munitions depot and a “terrorist” training camp, the defence ministry said.
- A French army jet on the tarmac of an undisclosed air base as part of France’s Operation Chammal against the Islamic State. AFPA French army jet on the tarmac of an undisclosed air base as part of France’s Operation Chammal against the Islamic State.
- The air raids came after President Francois Hollande called the Paris attacks — the worst in the country’s history — an “act of war” and vowed to hit back “without mercy”.
India GDP to exceed 7.3% this fiscal, to go higher: Arun Jaitley
- India’s economic growth was expected to exceed 7.3 per cent in the current fiscal year and go higher still in the next one, the country’s finance minister said on Monday.
- “(The) Indian economy is expected to grow better than 7.3 per cent – the level achieved last fiscal year – and at an even higher level next year,” Arun Jaitley told an investment forum in Dubai.
- The growth would come despite Jaitley noting that rural demand had been impacted by lower rains in the last two years.
Nokia appoints Sandeep Girotra designated head for India
- Nokia on Monday named Sandeep Girotra Head of India as part of the planned combination of Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent, after and subject to the successful closing of the public exchange offer for Alcatel-Lucent securities announced on April 15, 2015.
- Sandeep Girotra will oversee the combined company’s customer operations across India, driving the execution of strategy and ensuring superior customer service, underpinned by a strong focus on innovation and quality.
- Sandeep Girotra joined Nokia Networks in 1996 and has held a number of different roles in India, heading the region since 2011. In 2010 he served as Head of Sales for Business Solution Networks having been Customer Team Head at IDEA CellularBSE 1.78 % within Nokia Siemens Networks from 2007 to 2009.