Latest Current Affairs for Today – January 20th 2016
Latest Current Affairs#1 – Bihar Cabinet approved 35% reservation for women in government jobs.
- The Bihar Cabinet formally approved 35% reservation for women in all government jobs in the state, on 19 January 2016.
- The decision was made in the cabinet meeting presided by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
- The 35% reservation for women will be applicable to all government jobs including reserved and unreserved category.
The Bihar Government is already providing.
- 35% reservation for women in recruitment as police constables and sub-inspectors
- 50% reservation as primary school teachers and in the Panchayati Raj system.
During campaigning for the Bihar assembly polls, Nitish Kumar, the chief ministerial candidate of the Grand Alliance of Janata Dal-United, Rashtriya Janata Dal and Congress promised 35% reservation for women in all government jobs if he formed a government again.
Soon after being sworn-in as CM in November 2015, Nitish Kumar reiterated his stand.
Latest Current Affairs #2: Indian driver Jehan Daruvala won Lady Wigram Trophy for motorsport race.
- Sahara Force India Academy racer Jehan Daruvala won one of New Zealand’s most prestigious event, the Lady Wigram Trophy, on 16 January 2016
- This was Daruvala’s maiden victory in Formula cars after making the switch from karting in 2015.
- Daruvala won Rookie of the Year, at the Formula Renault 2.0 NEC series championship in the Netherlands in August 2015
About Lady Wigram Trophy.
- A New Zealand motorsport race trophy
- Awarded to the winner of the Wigram Airfield race.
- A part of the Tasman Series and classes like Formula 5000, Formula Holden, Formula Three and Formula Pacific.
- Formula 1 greats like: Jackie Stewart, Jack Brabham, Stirling Moss, Jim Clark and Bruce McLaren were all past winners of the Lady Wigram Trophy.
Latest Current Affairs#3: PSLV-C31 launched IRNSS-1E satellite.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched the Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) 1-E satellite on 20 January 2016.
- The satellite will provide navigation, tracking and mapping services to the Indian sub continent.
Details about the satellite.
- Launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SHAR), Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh on-board the PSLV-C31.
- The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV)-C31 was the 32nd consecutively successful mission of the PSLV.
- The ‘XL’ configuration of PSLV was used for this mission.
- This is the eleventh time ‘XL’ configuration was flown
Features of IRNSS-1E.
- IRNSS-1A, 1B and 1C and 1D, the first four satellites of the constellation, were successfully launched by PSLV in July 2013, April 2014, October 2014 and March 2015.
- Fifth of the 7 satellites constituting the IRNSS constellation.
- Weighs 1425 kg
- Carries two types of payloads – navigation payload and ranging payload.
- Navigation payload of IRNSS-1E will transmit navigation service signals to the users.
- This payload will be operating in L5-band and S-band.
- The ranging payload of IRNSS-1E consists of a C-band transponder which facilitates accurate determination of the range of the satellite.
- Also carries Corner Cube Retro Reflectors for laser ranging.
- A highly accurate Rubidium atomic clock is part of the navigation payload of the satellite.
Features of IRNSS.
- Consists of 7 satellites to provide real-time data on the position of objects to aid road, air and maritime traffic
- Provides mapping and tracking services.
- An independent regional navigation satellite system designed to provide location information in the Indian region and 1500 km around Indian mainland.
- Provides two types of services, namely, Standard Positioning Services (SPS), which will be provided to all users and Restricted Services (RS) that will be provided to authorized users only.
- Out of the 7 satellites of the system, 3 are geostationary and 4 are non-geostationary.
- The remaining satellites of this constellation, IRNSS-1F and IRNSS-1G, are expected to be launched in February 2016 and March 2016 respectively.
- Using the IRNSS as a platform, the Government of India is planning to launch its own Global Navigational Satellite Services, GINS (Global Indian Navigation Satellite) system. It will be similar to the Global Positioning System (GPS) of the USA.
Latest Current Affairs#4: Ministry of Shipping initiates Project Green Port.
The Union Ministry of Shipping started Project Green Ports, on 19 January 2016, which will help in making the Major Ports across India cleaner and greener.
The Project will have two verticals:
- Green Ports Initiatives
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan
Features of Green Port Initiatives.
Includes 12 initiatives which will be time bound to achieve the targets.
Some of these initiatives are:
- Preparing and monitoring plan
- Acquiring equipments required for monitoring environmental pollution
- Acquiring dust suppression system
- Setting up projects for energy generation from renewable energy sources
- Prohibition of disposal of almost all kinds of garbage at sea and improving the quality of harbor wastes.
- Setting up sewage/waste water treatment plants/ garbage disposal plant
- Completion of shortfalls of Oil Spill Response (OSR) facilities (Tier-1)
Features of Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan.
- The Ministry has identified 20 activities with certain time-line to promote cleanliness at the port premises.
- Some of the activities include:
- Cleaning and repairing wharf, sheds and port roads
- Painting road signs, zebra crossing, pavement edges
- Modernizing and cleaning of all the toilet complexes in the operational area
- Cleaning and repairing all drainages and storm water systems
- Dustbin placement at regular intervals
- Beautifying and cleaning parks
- Tree plantation
- Positioning boards indicating cleanliness messages
To achieve these objectives, regular training will be provided to the staff, to generate awareness and inculcate a positive attitude towards keeping the environment clean and green.