In this article
History of India – Ancient, Medieval and Modern
Chronologically, Indian History can be classified into three periods.
Ancient India, Medieval India and Modern India
- The earliest periods of Indian history are known only through reconstructions from archaeological evidence. Since the late 20th century, much new data has emerged.
- The Indus valley civilization saw its genesis in the holy land now known as India around 2500 BC.
- The Aryan tribes soon started penetrating the east, flourishing along the Ganga and Yamuna Rivers. By 500 BC, the whole of northern India was a civilized land.
- Rise of Jainism and Buddhism.
- In India, the medieval period is considered to be the time period between the 8th century AD and the 18th century AD. This Medieval Period is sometimes divided into two parts. The period from the 8th to the beginning of the 13th century is regarded as the Early Medieval Period while the period from the 13th century onward upto the 18th century is regarded as the Later Medieval Period.
- Unified under the famous Gupta Dynasty, the north of India touched the skies as far as administration and the Hindu religion were concerned.
- This was India’s Golden age.
- By 600 BC, approximately sixteen dynasties ruled the north Indian plains ruling the kingdoms of Magadha, Kosla, Kuru and Gandhara.
- Known to be the land of epics and legends, two of the world’s greatest epics find their birth in Indian settings – the Ramayana.
- Vasco da Gama when landed at Calicut, sailing via the Cape of Good Hope in 1498, marked the beginning of the European era in Indian history and hence the beginning of Modern Indian History.
- In 1595 Dutch merchants started going to India They formed Dutch East India Company(VOC) in 1602. They established a few trading depots at Surat, Cambay, Ahmedabad.Lost to British in 1759 in the battle of Bedara 1759.
- In the span of next 200-250 years,Three Carnatic Wars Battle of Plassey, Buxar and Anglo-Maratha war took place.
- First Indian war of Independence, known as Indian Mutiny took place in 1857.
- The Colonial Era started with the British taking control over almost all the parts of India and ended with the freedom of India in 1947 …