Today in Banker’s Bounty, you will get Ratio and Proportion concept and previous year questions.
Step 1: Watch the video prepared by MockBank’s expert.
Step 2: Read the concepts that follow.
Step 3: Put a timer before you solve the previous year questions on decimal and fraction in quiz and record how much time it takes you to solve it.
Step 4: Send us questions in comments section below which took maximum time and we will tell you a faster way to solve it.
Ratio is a fraction of two values. It can be represented in any of the following ways:
=> x/y, x : y , x÷y
- In ratio of the form x : y, x is called as the antecedent/first term and y is the consequent/second term.
- Generally, ratio is a handy way to compare two terms.
- For example : 4 / π > 1 , it is clear that 4 > π
- One thing that has to be remembered while comparing two numbers in a ratio is that they should be represented in same units. For example, if x is in meters and y in litres they cannot be compared by using ratio as they are expressed in different units – meters vs litres.
A proportion is the equality of two ratios/ fractions.
- If x : y = a : b, it can be written as x : y :: a : b and it is said that x, y, a, b are in proportion.
- Here x and b are called extremes, while y and a are called mean terms.
- Product of means=Product of extremes
x :y :: a : b => (y∗a)=(x∗b)
- If x : y=a : b
b is called the fourth proportional to x, y and a.
a is called the third proportional to x and y.
- Sub-duplicate: Sub-duplicate ratio of (a:b) is (a^1/2: b^1/2)
- Duplicate ratio of (a:b) is (a^2:b^2)
- Triplicate Ratio:Triplicate ratio of (a:b) is (a^3:b^3)
- Sub-triplicate Ratio: Sub-triplicate ratio of (a:b) is (a^1/3:b^1/3)
- If a/b=c/d then, a+b/a−b=c+d/c−d This is known as Componendo and Dividendo.
- We say that x is directly proportional to y, if x=ky for some constant k and we write, x∝y
- We say that x is inversely proportional to y, if xy=k for some constant k and we write, x∝1y