As part of ‘Banker’s Bounty’ series, today we will see Ratio and Proportion concept video followed by a small quiz on the same topic. Please watch the video carefully and attempt the quiz. The quiz has 10 questions from ratio and proportion topic. You will get solutions to the question after finishing the quiz. Don’t forget to comment your score in the comments section below:
Bankers Bounty Quantitative Aptitude Topic of the day: Ratio and Proportion
Ratio is a fraction of two values. It can be represented in any of the following ways:
=> x/y, x : y , x÷y
- In ratio of the form x : y, x is called as the antecedent/first term and y is the consequent/second term.
- Generally, ratio is a handy way to compare two terms.
- For example : 4 / π > 1 , it is clear that 4 > π
- One thing that has to be remembered while comparing two numbers in a ratio is that they should be represented in same units. For example, if x is in meters and y in litres they cannot be compared by using ratio as they are expressed in different units – meters vs litres.
A proportion is the equality of two ratios/ fractions.
- If x : y = a : b, it can be written as x : y :: a : b and it is said that x, y, a, b are in proportion.
- Here x and b are called extremes, while y and a are called mean terms.
- Product of means=Product of extremes
x :y :: a : b => (y∗a)=(x∗b)
- If x : y=a : b
b is called the fourth proportional to x, y and a.
a is called the third proportional to x and y.
- Sub-duplicate: Sub-duplicate ratio of (a:b) is (a^1/2: b^1/2)
- Duplicate ratio of (a:b) is (a^2:b^2)
- Triplicate Ratio:Triplicate ratio of (a:b) is (a^3:b^3)
- Sub-triplicate Ratio: Sub-triplicate ratio of (a:b) is (a^1/3:b^1/3)
- If a/b=c/d then, a+b/a−b=c+d/c−d This is known as Componendo and Dividendo.
- We say that x is directly proportional to y, if x=ky for some constant k and we write, x∝y
- We say that x is inversely proportional to y, if xy=k for some constant k and we write, x∝1y
Attempt the following quiz on ration and proportion to check your level of preparedness for ratio proportion questions in competitive exams. You can also see solutions for each question and your score after you finish the quiz. Don’t forget to enter your email id to receive quiz results.